Topic: Helo command rejected - Host not found

================ REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8 MARIADB edition.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi,

i've an issue with my personal mail server.
Unfortunately I find it difficult to receive emails from different services such as banks, services connected to the smartphone and the like. Reading the postfix log I noticed the following:

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail0.ubiss.it[193.41.205.81]: 450 4.7.1 <mail3.ubiss.it>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<contabilionline@ubibanca.it> to=<paolo@zulberti.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail3.ubiss.it>

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from pumpmail6.iwbank.it[80.254.207.44]: 450 4.7.1 <ibglpd45.iwbank.it>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<info@iwbank.it> to=<paolo@zulberti.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<ibglpd45.iwbank.it>

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from pumpmail7.iwbank.it[80.254.207.42]: 450 4.7.1 <ibglpe45.iwbank.it>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<info@iwbank.it> to=<paolo@zulberti.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<ibglpe45.iwbank.it>

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from ec2-52-220-13-238.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com[52.220.13.238]: 450 4.7.1 <sgp1-jm-mail01.awssgp>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<noreply-account@mi.com> to=<nadia@zulberti.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<sgp1-jm-mail01.awssgp>

That is just an example.
I tried to examine postfix logs using the pflogsumm tool with the following syntax:

pflogsumm -d yesterday /var/log/maillog
pflogsumm -d today /var/log/maillog

and that what results :

message reject detail
---------------------
  RCPT
    Helo command rejected: Host not found (total: 24)
          15   pumpmail7.iwbank.it
           9   pumpmail6.iwbank.it
    Recipient address rejected: Intentional policy rejection (total: 10)
           6   deltachat_matteo@magri.email
           3   paolo@zulberti.it
           1   matteo.magri@sempai.it

I've try with the following modify without solve my issue :

In the file /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre I added the following at the bottom :

/^pumpmail7\.iwbank\.it$/ OK
/^pumpmail6\.iwbank\.it$/ OK
/^\.tsumi\.it$/ OK
/^\.ubibanca\.it$/ OK
/^\.mi\.com$/ OK

After that, as the problem wasn't solved, i try with the following :

python /opt/iredapd/tools/wblist_admin.py --add --whitelist @tsumi.it
python /opt/iredapd/tools/wblist_admin.py --add --whitelist @iwbank.it
python /opt/iredapd/tools/wblist_admin.py --add --whitelist @ubibanca.it
python /opt/iredapd/tools/wblist_admin.py --add --whitelist @mi.com

As the last change, as the problem still persist in the file /opt/iredapd/settings.py I made the following changes :

# Enabled plugins.
plugins = ["reject_null_sender", "wblist_rdns", "reject_sender_login_mismatch", "throttle", "sql_alias_access_policy"]
# removed amavisd_wblist, greylisting from plugins

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,
LainX84

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Helo command rejected - Host not found

LainX84 wrote:

/^pumpmail7\.iwbank\.it$/ OK

1: It's better bypass all iwbank.it like this (in /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre):

/\.iwbank\.it$/ OK

2: for this HELO reject, you can fix it with the /opt/iredapd/tools/wblist_admin.py, it's used to whitelist based on sender address, domain name, ip address, but HELO restriction still checks the HELO domain name.