Topic: postfix error 255

I have looked up the solution to the error but am not understanding what the problem would be.

Here is the error email and code i got
Subject    Cron <root@mail> test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily ) (failed)

run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/postfix-policyd exited with return code 255

this is a fresh install of 7.0 beta 2 on an ubuntu 10.10 server. The only packages added to the server are openssh and samba when server was loaded. The installation of iredmail went smooth and effortless with the mysql backend.

I checked in the postfix-policyd.conf to make sure it had a password and it does. I look in the phpmyadmin and look at that user and see no password? is that the problem ? I am new to linux mail servers so any help would be appreciated.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: postfix error 255

Cron job "/etc/cron.daily/postfix-policyd" will perform below command:

/usr/lib/postfix-policyd/cleanup -c /etc/postfix-policyd.conf

policyd cleanup program will remove expired data in SQL database, it's safe to execute it whenever you want.
Try to run it manually, and check its output message.

how do I run this manually, Like i said I am new to running linux mail server so do not know all the commands. I tried looking it up and have nto found anything yet to run a cron.daily file manually.

not sure if this might be part of the problem. WHen trying to recieve mail from the outside they are not coming in.

here is a snipet from the logs

Feb 14 12:07:37 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: connect from mail-bw0-f53.google.com[209.85.214.53]
Feb 14 12:07:38 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection refused
Feb 14 12:07:38 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: warning: problem talking to server 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection
Feb 14 12:07:39 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection refused
Feb 14 12:07:39 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: warning: problem talking to server 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection
Feb 14 12:07:39 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-bw0-f53.google.com[209.85.214.5
Feb 14 12:07:39 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: disconnect from mail-bw0-f53.google.com[209.85.214.53]

I mean, run below command as root user:

# /usr/lib/postfix-policyd/cleanup -c /etc/postfix-policyd.conf
Mike wrote:

Feb 14 12:07:38 mail postfix/smtpd[6240]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection refused

Policyd is not running.
Please check MySQL related settings in /etc/postfix-policyd.conf.

I tried and ran that command logged in as root and got nothing back from it.

also I went in and looked at the mysql settings and it has 127.0.0.1 for the host .. username postfixpolicyd and then a password.

Everything is from a fresh install as far as I can tell, I did not change any settings from the initial install on the server.

I can log into the phpmyadmin and see the postfixpolicyd database and the user postfix-policyd with a hashed password from the looks of it.

could it possibly be a password mismatch? but if it was something like that I would think it would show me that type of error somewhere. I am trying to get this all tested to make sure my conversion from modusmail to this server goes well. I plan on purchasing the iremail admin pro to go along with this, if I can get it all working and taking care of spam and viruses correctly.

Any other suggestions for what I should be looking for. I am sure it is some kind of misconfiguration, but the only think i configured was what it asked for when installing.

made sure host names where correct and all that, made the virtual and put in passwords. So I am at a loss here.

I am going to try deploring the server from scratch and see if I still have thee same issue

Mike wrote:

also I went in and looked at the mysql settings and it has 127.0.0.1 for the host .. username postfixpolicyd and then a password.

Try to log into phpMyAdmin with this account to make sure username and password are correct.

Yes i can log into phpmyadmin with the username and password in postfix-policyd.conf

Then simply restart policyd service and check whether it's running or not:

# /etc/init.d/postfix-policyd restart
# netstat -ntlp | grep '10031'

If you see output with "netstat" command, then it's running. Otherwise please check its log file: /var/log/mail.info for more detail.

so it seem the problem was policyd and something with  mail.info log . once changed to mail.err log everything seems to work flawlessly.

soemthing with policyd in ubuntu bug ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/627117

seems you need to make a note on the install for ubuntu for the policyd change for the SYSLOG_FACILITY="LOG_MAIL | LOG_INFO" to be changed to SYSLOG_FACILITY="LOG_MAIL | LOG_ERR"

thanks for the help