Topic: hostname vs first virtual domain

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:  0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 7
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hey, I'm confused about hostname vs first virtual domain, I realise you're busy, if you can point me to a reference I'm happy to read up on it.

I have a bunch of identities / aliases me@a.com, me@b.com, me@c.com, I configured the machine I want to run iredmail on to have the hostname machine.a.com. This is returned by hostname -f. During setup, when asked for the first virtual domain, I put a.com.

Now that things are set up, I thought I'd be able to point mailbox aliases / redirections from the mail servers at a.com, b.com, and c.com to me@machine.a.com. But That's not working, I assume because iredmain only has a mail box for me@a.com, so will reject mail sent to the hostname.

Is the only / best method to forward everything to the address for the first virtual domain ?

In truth, I'm a little confused by the compulsory virstual host name. Can I not create virtual accounts on the actual host name?

Where does reverse DNS fit in here? I thought that good email servers sent mail from ip addresses that provided the same reverse DNS as the host name in the email headers? the reverse dns on this machine is set up to be machine.a.com should it be something else?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: hostname vs first virtual domain

Mr5o1 wrote:

Now that things are set up, I thought I'd be able to point mailbox aliases / redirections from the mail servers at a.com, b.com, and c.com to me@machine.a.com. But That's not working, I assume because iredmain only has a mail box for me@a.com, so will reject mail sent to the hostname.

*) How did you "point mailbox aliases / redirections"?
*) If "machine.a.com" is your server hostname, "me@machine.a.com" means emails will be sent to system user account "me", like "root@machine.a.com". If system account "me" exists, it should work fine.
*) "me@a.com" and "me@machine.a.com" are different email addresses, iRedMail won't reject received emails for them.

Mr5o1 wrote:

In truth, I'm a little confused by the compulsory virstual host name. Can I not create virtual accounts on the actual host name?

*) Is it hard to use hostname like below?

- mx.a.com
- smtp.a.com
- mail.a.com

*) Virtual mail account is better for management than system account.

Mr5o1 wrote:

Where does reverse DNS fit in here? I thought that good email servers sent mail from ip addresses that provided the same reverse DNS as the host name in the email headers? the reverse dns on this machine is set up to be machine.a.com should it be something else?

The reverse DNS should be the server hostname, no matter what the hostname is.