Re: Catchall and plus addressing

This won't work.

This is current Postfix setting used by iRedMail:

virtual_alias_maps =
    proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/virtual_alias_maps.cf,
    proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/virtual_group_maps.cf,
    proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/virtual_group_members_maps.cf,
    proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/catchall_maps.cf

*) Problem #1: Postfix queries with these files in specified order, so if you return catch-all account in first file (virtual_alias_maps.cf), it will never use virtual_group_maps.cf and virtual_group_members_maps.cf. That means we don't have mailing list support with your modification.

*) Problem #2: recipient address is unknown if it's not an existing recipient, it might be 'john@', 'smith@', it never get a returned catch-all address with your modification, because '%s' in LDAP query files is full email address. And if you use '%d' (domain name) in query file, we have the same issue with current iRedMail setting (not modified), because '%d' always match with our catch-all account LDAP object (full dn: mail=@domain.com,ou=Users,domainName=domain.com,o=domains,dc=xx,dc=xx), so it will always return a catch-all address if someone sends email to 'user+ext@domain.com'.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

I don't think the problems you have raised are actually an issue. Here is what currently happens with the setup I've created.

For email address "test+1234@domain". Postfix does lookups as per "TABLE SEARCH ORDER" in http://www.postfix.org/virtual.8.html , so we start with "test+1234@domain"

1. Lookup against virtual_alias_maps... fails.
2. Lookup against group_maps... fails.
3. Lookup against group_members_maps... fails.
4. Lookup re-written to remove the extension, becoming test@domain
5. Lookup against virtual_alias_maps... success!

For a catch-all example, foo@domain

4. Lookup re-written. No + extension, so skip to next form, which is just @domain
5. Lookup against virtual_alias_maps... success!

Even foo+bar@domain would work:

4. Lookup re-written to foo@domain.
5. Lookup against virtual_alias_maps... fails.
6. Lookup against group_maps... fails.
7. Lookup against group_members_maps... fails.
8. Lookup re-written to @domain.
9. Lookup against virtual_alias_maps... success!

The trick is to not use %d ever in the lookups, and wait for postfix to retry in accordance with the search order that it uses.

Thinking this through, a cleaner solution, which would leave virtual_alias_maps unmodified, would be to change catchall_maps to the following:

query_filter    = (&(objectClass=mailUser)(accountStatus=active)(enabledService=catchall)(|(mail=@%s)(shadowAddress=@%s)))

The only required change is the two %d -> %s, but I've suggested adding an enabledService of catchall to distinguish the account from regular mail accounts.

I think this solution works for SQL and Postgres too, leaving address manipulation down to postfix, rather than the lookup script.

Any further thoughts on this? smile

What a surprise, it works for me.

I applied changes by following your post, and it works. tried to send email to (existing) full email address with/without '+ext' part, to mailing list account, to alias account, all work.

stevekez wrote:

The only required change is the two %d -> %s, but I've suggested adding an enabledService of catchall to distinguish the account from regular mail accounts.

Not necessary to use 'enabledService=catchall' in this case. In iRedMail, full dn of catch-all account is 'mail=@[domain],ou=Users,domainName=[domain],...], it's different than normal mail user (dn: mail=[username]@[domain],...).

stevekez wrote:

I think this solution works for SQL and Postgres too, leaving address manipulation down to postfix, rather than the lookup script.

I will keep current settings for SQL backends, but maybe your idea is better for SQL backends, need some more tests.

stevekez wrote:

Tried with MySQL backend, it doesn't work. When send email to a non-existing email address, Postfix rejects the smtp session instead of mailing to catch-all address.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Not necessary to use 'enabledService=catchall' in this case. In iRedMail, full dn of catch-all account is 'mail=@[domain],ou=Users,domainName=[domain],...], it's different than normal mail user (dn: mail=[username]@[domain],...).

Great! I will post a final diff of my config here when I've successfully deployed into production, for the benefit of anyone else. Hopefully these will converge upon a future iRedMail release, but they should be small enough changes that they're easy to manage.

To fix this issue on old iRedMail release, just one command is enough:

# perl -pi -e 's#%d#%s#g' /etc/postfix/ldap/catchall_maps.cf

Then restart Postfix service.

34 (edited by stevekez 2015-06-03 16:01:03)

Excellent, but should that not be:

# perl -pi -e 's#@%d#%s#g' /etc/postfix/ldap/catchall_maps.cf

Otherwise the catchall lookup string will eventually be "@@domain"?

Edit: Yes, definitely; I get "unknown user" otherwise.

You're right, it's my mistake, sorry about this.
I repacked iRedMail-0.9.2, and fixed this in upgrade tutorial.