1 (edited by fsusdma 2015-04-12 10:45:44)

Topic: postfix lost connection after RSET[IP_from_client]

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: 

some-date mail postfix/smtpd[1109]: connect from unknown[example-IP]
some-date mail postfix/smtpd[1109]: lost connection after RSET from unknown[example-IP]
some-date mail postfix/smtpd[1109]: disconnect from unknown[example-IP]
====

Hey,

so iRedMail is working fine with sending (and receiving) mail from the web client. However when I try to set up and connect from an Android or Desktop client, I always end up with these errors in my maillog.
Sometimes they arrive several minutes after I tried to establish a connection through the clients and a few times there are no logs at all.

I run iRedMail on a really small VPS. Can that be the reason for it - the server is not fast enough to catch the connection? But then again, emails arrive almost instantly and the usual load is under 1%. 

Thanks for your help.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: postfix lost connection after RSET[IP_from_client]

What's your ram usage at and how much ram installed?

512 MB RAM installed and load usually doesn't exceed 50 %.

I did a bit of research and found this in the postfix documentation:

"If Postfix logs the SMTP client as "unknown" then you have a name service problem: the name server is bad, or the resolv.conf file contains bad information, or some packet filter is blocking the DNS requests or replies."

My resolv.conf points to the google DNS servers. My DNS setup should be okay as well I think.
I have an A record for mail.mydomain.com to my_server_ip and a MX record for mail.mydomain.com.
And since I can receive and send emails just fine, I dont think that is the problem.
So maybe it is the packet filter thing. 

Thanks for your help.

iredmail will have a few issues running on 512mb. You may need to upgrade to 1GB or disable amavis.
I can't do much without a debug log, do enable debugging and reload postfix. Try not to trim the log as much either this time please. Recreate the issue with debug and post the logs please