1 (edited by wizbe 2011-06-19 12:27:17)

Topic: A few suggestions & bugs from a new pro user

Just downloaded free version and upgraded to pro. Still in testing phase.
Here's some findings from, hope it helps.

1. RoundCube's Password plugin's cn_ZH.inc is missing. English showed up.So I did my own translation.
2. When an user account is deleted from the panel, everything works fine except the user's maildir still exists, as well as all the emails. Is is done by purpose?
3. Sometimes customer may want to change $rcmail_config['product_name']  under roundcube's main.inc.php from "roundcube webmail" to his/her company name as well as a few other places. It may be helpful to put this into the install script.
4. It is difficult enough to have my users remember urls, they only remember site name. http://www.example.com/mail/ is too much for them. So in /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf, I added a line  RedirectMatch ^/$ /mail/ before </LocationMatch> solves the problem. May not be the perfect solution due to my poor apache knowledge.
5. The default roundcube skin is optimized for English with font 11px. Less ideal for Chinese users, font's a bit small. So I went to skins/default, replace most of 'font-size 11px;' to 12px. Seems fine with my FF4 and IE6, should be OK with others.
6. Should be a way, either explictly in the install script or in the install doc to let customer specify their company's ip address in fail2ban's ignore list. Otherwise on the very first day the new system is installed the whole company will be banned because some user put the wrong password in outlook (they always do!).
7. I need to migrate 500 users from my old mail server. My plan was to bulk add the user list with a new random password for each account, send the password to their old emailbox, wait two days so they will all know, then switch. However ,the bulk user add script(openldap,.sh) is both buggy and not suitable for my purpose: no password option (only default or same as username), the user home directory is set to one that's different from the ones created from the panel. So I edited it and changed the syntax. As attached. The new syntax is : prog-name domain_name user_name user_passwd. If I want to add multiple users I can always write another script to call this one in a loop, not necessary to put multiple user names in one line.
8. I'm from China. An option to accecpt payment through alipay would be nicer.
9. I will try write more, but , can someone fix the GFW problem? What the h__ does a free email website do to piss off the Chinese gov?

Post's attachments

create_mail_user_OpenLDAP.rar 2.69 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: A few suggestions & bugs from a new pro user

wizbe wrote:

Just downloaded free version and upgraded to pro.

Thanks very much for your purchase to support iRedMail project. smile

1. RoundCube's Password plugin's cn_ZH.inc is missing. English showed up.So I did my own translation.

That's great, don't forget to submit to Roundcube mail list.

2. When an user account is deleted from the panel, everything works fine except the user's maildir still exists, as well as all the emails. Is is done by purpose?

Works as designed.

3. Sometimes customer may want to change $rcmail_config['product_name']  under roundcube's main.inc.php from "roundcube webmail" to his/her company name as well as a few other places. It may be helpful to put this into the install script.

No plan yet. We'd like to keep installation wizard as simple as possible, as less steps as possible.

4. It is difficult enough to have my users remember urls, they only remember site name. http://www.example.com/mail/ is too much for them. So in /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf, I added a line  RedirectMatch ^/$ /mail/ before </LocationMatch> solves the problem. May not be the perfect solution due to my poor apache knowledge.

A simple redirect page under Apache DocumentRoot works too. For example:

<html>
    <head>
        <meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://example.com/mail/">
    </head>
</html>

5. The default roundcube skin is optimized for English with font 11px. Less ideal for Chinese users, font's a bit small. So I went to skins/default, replace most of 'font-size 11px;' to 12px. Seems fine with my FF4 and IE6, should be OK with others.

We just use default setting by Roundcube.

6. Should be a way, either explictly in the install script or in the install doc to let customer specify their company's ip address in fail2ban's ignore list.

No plan yet. Sorry.

7. I need to migrate 500 users from my old mail server. My plan was to bulk add the user list with a new random password for each account, send the password to their old emailbox, wait two days so they will all know, then switch. However ,the bulk user add script(openldap,.sh) is both buggy and not suitable for my purpose: no password option (only default or same as username), the user home directory is set to one that's different from the ones created from the panel. So I edited it and changed the syntax. As attached. The new syntax is : prog-name domain_name user_name user_passwd. If I want to add multiple users I can always write another script to call this one in a loop, not necessary to put multiple user names in one line.

File 'tools/create_mail_user_OpenLDAP.py' supports importing accounts from CSV file, you can specify password for each user.

8. I'm from China. An option to accecpt payment through alipay would be nicer.

Will consider that, thanks for your suggestion.

9. I will try write more, but , can someone fix the GFW problem? What the h__ does a free email website do to piss off the Chinese gov?

No idea yet. Sorry about this trouble. (P.S. Maybe mention GFW here will cause iredmail.org been blocked too. smile)
You can use http://www.iredmail.com instead of .org, or use IP address instead: 173.254.22.21.