Topic: Active Directory Integration - Hashed Maildir

==== Provide basic information to help troubleshoot ====
- iRedMail version: 0.7.3
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: OpenSUSE 11.4  x64
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

Hello,

I followed the steps in   http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … y.iRedMail
and it's working fine smile

my domain is goll.com

Now whenever I create a user in Active Directory, the user can immediately login and can check his mail.

I created a user called 'sami'
But looking under /var/vmail/vmail1/goll.com :

goll:~/var/vmail/vmail1/goll.com # ls
sami w

the user 'www' is under w/w/w/.... etc .  why this is not working for user 'sami' ???

Regards,

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Active Directory Integration - Hashed Maildir

goll wrote:

the user 'www' is under w/w/w/.... etc .  why this is not working for user 'sami' ???

It's mentioned in integration tutorial, in section "Create/Edit file: ad_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf", we have below setting:

result_format   = %d/%u/Maildir/

It means Sami's maildir will be "goll.com/sami/Maildir/", john's maildir will be "goll.com/john/Maildir/".

The root cause is we don't store maildir path in Active Directory, so we choose this easiest way to define a maildir path.
Hope it helps.

== UPDATE ==
I updated integration tutorial with above explanation.

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually, I like this hashed Maildir thing, and I wanna implement it in my AD setup.

Will look into it  ... and update you.

Regards,

May i know how many users you have?

Currently I have 1500 users ( these are employees in a university ) so I am not counting the students because I really don't know
the real number now.

We are using the following to create email for user called "John Daniel Maclean " would have jdmaclean@goll.com.

Well, the reason I wanna use this hashed Maildir, a couple of months ago I worked for a company who had qmail installed with Maildir.

They had a  lot of users, and just browsing to that directory and doing 'ls' would hang the shell ...

Running rsync to backup these Maildir files, rynsc would take ages just to build the list of files....

So we are giving Postfix+Dovecot a try ... if it works, I am ditching MS Exchange for good ...

Any hints?

I'm afraid that you cannot achieve this with hard-coded "result_format": http://www.postfix.org/ldap_table.5.html

It doesn't mention any method to get first character of email address. If you want to achieve it, then store maildir path in AD.

Thanks for the tip.

Will update this thread once I get it working.

Regards,