Topic: Installation question

==== Provide basic information to help troubleshoot ====
- iRedMail version: 0.7.3
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 10.04
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

Somewhere in the installation process I was asked to enter a hostname and I was told it could not be samedaygaragedoorservice.com. Since nothing else logically made sense I entered samedaygaragedoorservice.com anyway and everything is working great on the system. What is going on with this? Is there going to be problems later?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Installation question

It's a bad idea to ignore installation notice.
Postfix will use server hostname as value of "myhostname", and it will query LDAP/MySQL to lookup virtual mail domains. If your domain name exists in both "myhostname" and virtual mail domains, Posrfix won't deliver mails for this domain.

OK. The fact of the matter is is that I am sending and receiving emails. Does this mean I should not worry about it? I am only using one domain name. Also I really think the installation process could be cleaned up a bit in this regard. It is very confusing. I had to mess with the host files for at least fifteen minutes to get the installation script to run properly and even then there were problems. Are there specific instruction for Ubuntu 11?

4 (edited by Albux 2011-10-06 04:28:36)

sepoto wrote:

Somewhere in the installation process I was asked to enter a hostname and I was told it could not be samedaygaragedoorservice.com. Since nothing else logically made sense I entered samedaygaragedoorservice.com anyway and everything is working great on the system. What is going on with this? Is there going to be problems later?

I think the note during installation is not about the domain, but if you enter on this step the whole FQDN -that must not be the same as hostname-.

For example you would have run into problems if you entered as domain during the installation mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com AND the hostname of your server was mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com

as far as I know on Ubuntu the /etc/hosts config for iRedmail is fairly simple, let's say that your server must be called mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com, and your public IP is 123.123.123.123 , the file should look like this:

127.0.0.1 mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com mail localhost localhost.localdomain
123.123.123.123 mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com mail

note that if you're behind a NAT, you must not enter your public IP but the NAT IP (i.e. 192.168.1.20)

Hope that I didn't say anything wrong... Zhang can you confirm? smile

sepoto wrote:

Are there specific instruction for Ubuntu 11?

Not yet. I didn't start to test Ubuntu 11.x. Currently, the latest Ubuntu LTS edition is recommended for production use.

Albux wrote:

I think the note during installation is not about the domain, but if you enter on this step the whole FQDN -that must not be the same as hostname-.
For example you would have run into problems if you entered as domain during the installation mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com AND the hostname of your server was mail.samedaygaragedoorservice.com

You are right, thanks for detailed explain. smile