Topic: Possible bug: SpamAssassin (spamd) is not set to start on boot

==== Provide required information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.2
- iRedMail version and backend (LDAP/MySQL): OpenLDAP
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

Zhuang,

Just an FYI in all installations of iredmail-0.7.4 on CentOS 6, SpamAssassin is the ONLY service that is not set to start on boot.

Everytime the system is rebooted I have to manually type "service spamassassin start"

I am sure this can be fixed with a "chkconfig spamassassin on" but not sure if this was done intentionally or not.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Possible bug: SpamAssassin (spamd) is not set to start on boot

I found the same issue, too

should I start it manually ?

Service spamd should be turn off by default in iRedMail, because SpamAssassin will be invoked by Amavisd.

4 (edited by juvix 2012-03-06 17:45:37)

spamassassin does not get invoked my AmavisD properly...

Every time I restart I have to manually start it.

I noticed this by doing a ps -ef and didnt see spamassassin running.

Happens every time on CentOS 6.2 btw. I have a VPS I use for testing and have been tearing down the image and rebuilding just to make sure it isnt OS related. This is def a centos 6.2 issue with the software. Amavisd is not starting spamassassin

1) spamd should be turn off in iRedMail.
2) Amavisd invokes SpamAssassin directly for anti-spam scanning, not through spamd.

Just want to repeat, it's working as designed.

Okay no problem, thanks for the update Zhang.

Is there a way to verify that spamd is running? I know its invoked by amavisd but it doesnt show up as a running process at all in ps -ef.... I havent seen it spawn any processes and then die. I am not exactly sure how it works so I figured you might have an idea

Reference to Amavisd official document for more details, it answers your question smile
http://www.amavis.org/#faq-spam