1 (edited by maxB 2013-01-15 06:07:31)

Topic: Upgrade process for iRedMail & iRedAdmin-Pro MySQL on Debian Squeeze

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.7.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 6.0 (Squeeze)
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: -
====

Hi,

sadly I messed up my continuous upgrade plans for the mailserver I am runnind iRedMail and iRedAdmin-Pro (MySQL) on. So right now I have a bunch of versions missed and want to make sure I have everything planned out correctly in my mind. I would really appreciate some feedback on this :-)

First of all I want to update the system packages - there are several updates queued up within apt-get, e. g. Apache2. ClamAV, PHP5 and PHPMyAdmin among some other system packages. Am I running into possible problems if I do update all of these packages from the official Debian sources? I guess it might be okay with iRedMail (0.7.3) and iRedAdmin-Pro (1.3.0), won't it?

The next measure would be updating iRedMail step-by-step - so I planned starting out applying the changes as described in the upgrade tutorials for 0.7.3 -> 0.7.4, 0.7.4 -> 0.8.0 and so on. Is it right that I only need the general and MySQL relevant sections? I guess it would be good to write the last updated version somewhere down, as the config files won't be updated with the newest version number, as I am performing all of the necessary changes manually?

Finally my plan is to to the same step-by-step procedure with all of the iRedAdmin-Pro packages based on the guides provided by Mr. Huangbin in the wiki. It will be basically the same as with the iRedMail-updates, except I will have to use the provided tarballs and copy over some files while saving my configuration files, right?

Currently I am running Dovecot v1.2 and some 0.5.x version of Roundcube. Am I right that it might be the best idea to update these two packages after all of the above?

I would be really glad if someone with some iRedMail and iRedAdmin-Pro upgrade experience (ideally also based on Debian Squeeze) could give my some feedback on this. And if the Mr. Huangbin would leave a short feedback here, I couldn't be happier :-)

Thank you very much in advance!
Max

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Upgrade process for iRedMail & iRedAdmin-Pro MySQL on Debian Squeeze

maxB wrote:

First of all I want to update the system packages - there are several updates queued up within apt-get, e. g. Apache2. ClamAV, PHP5 and PHPMyAdmin among some other system packages. Am I running into possible problems if I do update all of these packages from the official Debian sources? I guess it might be okay with iRedMail (0.7.3) and iRedAdmin-Pro (1.3.0), won't it?

It should be fine to update system with apt-get.

maxB wrote:

The next measure would be updating iRedMail step-by-step - so I planned starting out applying the changes as described in the upgrade tutorials for 0.7.3 -> 0.7.4, 0.7.4 -> 0.8.0 and so on. Is it right that I only need the general and MySQL relevant sections?

Yes.

maxB wrote:

I guess it would be good to write the last updated version somewhere down, as the config files won't be updated with the newest version number, as I am performing all of the necessary changes manually?

Yes.

maxB wrote:

Finally my plan is to to the same step-by-step procedure with all of the iRedAdmin-Pro packages based on the guides provided by Mr. Huangbin in the wiki. It will be basically the same as with the iRedMail-updates, except I will have to use the provided tarballs and copy over some files while saving my configuration files, right?

You can upgrade iRedAdmin-Pro-MySQL-1.1.0 or later versions (1.3.0, in your case) to the latest 1.5.1 directly by following upgrade tutorial for v1.2.0 or later versions, but please make sure you already upgraded iRedMail to the latest stable release first.

maxB wrote:

Currently I am running Dovecot v1.2 and some 0.5.x version of Roundcube. Am I right that it might be the best idea to update these two packages after all of the above?

Yes.

I suggest all iRedMail users upgrade iRedMail immediately if a new stable release was released, it will be simple and easier since there're just few steps in one upgrade.

3 (edited by maxB 2013-01-16 06:14:24)

Thank you very much for your quickly provided feedback! I just finished the iRedAdmin-Pro upgrade and it seems like everything really worked like a charm - thank you! Next step will be the Dovecot update ... but I'll will postpone this to some other day.

One question appeared during the upgrade process:

* Within the upgrade guide for iRedMail from 0.8.2 to 0.8.3 you're referring to a cluebringer config update. But currently I have no cluebringer installed, although I upgraded all of the installed packages - do I need to apply the cluebringer installation myself?

And: Do you have a notification service for new iRedMail versions like for the iRedAdmin-Pro package?

Thanks for your excellent support!
Max

maxB wrote:

* Within the upgrade guide for iRedMail from 0.8.2 to 0.8.3 you're referring to a cluebringer config update. But currently I have no cluebringer installed, although I upgraded all of the installed packages - do I need to apply the cluebringer installation myself?

If you don't have this component/software (cluebringer, in your case), please simply ignore/skip related steps.

maxB wrote:

And: Do you have a notification service for new iRedMail versions like for the iRedAdmin-Pro package?

Subscribe to our mailing list please. Search "Subscribe to" in this page, and you get it.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

If you don't have this component/software (cluebringer, in your case), please simply ignore/skip related steps.

Wouldn't it be clever to install cluebringer manually, as it is most probably has a bunch of enhancements over Policyd v1?

Cluebringer is a completely rewritten software, and the versions shipped in different Linux/BSD distributions are not the same. it causes different Linux/BSD distributions have different features (provided by cluebringer).

Installing cluebringer manually from source tarball is a good idea, but you cannot upgrade cluebringer from Linux/BSD official package repositories.