- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
==== ==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian/Squeeze
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,
I paid for iredadmin - good stuff, thank you for all of this work!

I was wondering if there would be any forthcomming integration of ezmlm or mailman? The mailman howto is targeted at the mysql backend not ldap, and this just seems like a logical choice for a future development. The builtin list functionality does work but ezmlm and mailman both are tuned for non-admin users and are a better choice for a 'public mailing list' type service where you have untrusted users who you want to be able to administer a list and not have any other controls.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike-

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: mailman / ezmlm integration

willtsonline wrote:

I was wondering if there would be any forthcomming integration of ezmlm or mailman?

No plan yet, sorry.

How about provide web interface for users (both internal members under same domain and external members) to subscribe/unsubscribe from the built-in mailing list?

Actually, that was exactly what I started my post as but then I got side tracked seeing that there was a link to mailman integration already...incomplete tho it is.

A web interface extension to allow users to administer their own lists would be acceptable.  I don't want to give them any ability to see anything else like other lists or domain statistics or anything of the sort, just the power to add remove subscribers or moderators.

Thanks again.

Inspired by your request, maybe we can improve iRedAdmin-Pro to make it more like mailman/ezmlm. How about below process:

1. Assign an unique id to each mailing list. e.g. 0bee89b07a248e27c83fc3d5951213c1 or whatever you like. And set permissions like whether members are allowed to post in this mailing list.

2. Mark that this mailing list is allowed to publicly subscribe and unsubscribe. Then all people on the internet can view its basic info and permission with URL like https://[your_server]/iredadmin/listinfo/0bee89b07a248e27c83fc3d5951213c1 Of course we cannot leak email address of the mailing list in URL.

3. In the list info page, allow people to subscribe or unsubscribe with their email address. iRedAdmin-Pro verifies whether the requester is already a member. if yes, display a message on web page. if not, sends an email to requestor to confirm this subscription, requestor clicks the URL in email to confirm the subscription and we're done.

4. In the list info page, subscribed user can input their email address to request to unsubscribe from this mailing list. Again, iRedAdmin-Pro verifies the requester is already a member and send confirm email if necessary.

Sounds like i'm talking about Mailman/ezmlm? Well, it's almost the same as Mailman/ezmlm, but implemented with iRedMail default built-in mailing list and managed with iRedAdmin-Pro. Let me know your opinions. smile

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Sounds like i'm talking about Mailman/ezmlm? Well, it's almost the same as Mailman/ezmlm, but implemented with iRedMail default built-in mailing list and managed with iRedAdmin-Pro. Let me know your opinions. smile

There are some good features in ezmlm and mailman both which are desireable such as user self-service and good bounce handling that shouldn't be re-invented. I think the hot ticket would be to have that integration in iredmail and got iredadminpro to have a web interface module to support it.

As you suggested however, I think the built-in list functions could work as you suggest. You'd need to put in rate limits so 'subscription confirmations' can't be used to flood remote mail boxes.

I don't see the point of having a strange ID for list management - why can't 'mylist' be used instead of 0bee89b07a248e27c83fc3d5951213c1 ?

Mike-