Topic: Mail routing

I was wondering if someone could let me know if, when you send an email from an iredmail mail account, does it check external MX records to route emails or does it check if the domain is on this server and route internally.

I would need it to always send mail via external MX records.

In addition, I can't see any settings for using a third party smart-host/relay server. Is this possible to do?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Mail routing

When you send an email with an iredmail mail user, Postfix will check:

1) Is this user (sender) a local mail user (system user and/or virtual mail user)? If not, reject directly. We're not an open relay.
2) If sender (your iredmail user) exists on local server, check whether recipient is hosted locally, either system user or virtual account. If recipient is hosted locally, deliver email locally.
3) If recipient is not hosted locally, check MX records of recipient domain. If no MX record configured, try A record instead. then Postfix communicates with recipient mail server to send out email.

To use a third-party smart-host/relay server, you need Postfix parameter "relayhost =" in /etc/postfix/main.cf. Reference:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost

Thanks,

Is there any way to make it always check the MX  instead of delivering locally?

skalra63 wrote:

Is there any way to make it always check the MX  instead of delivering locally?

I'm afraid not.

This post is just over three years old. Is it still not possible to check the MX record first before delivering locally?

6 (edited by Frankstar 2016-04-27 17:39:48)

why would you need that ? - i dont get the benefit of that.