Topic: Under able to access web interfaces with hostname

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: iRedMail-0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: Apache error.log
====
I am a newbie to iRedMail as you can probably guess. I initially did a clean install on CentOS where I got the same problem but I went back to Ubuntu 12.04 because I much more familiar with it.

The problem is if I try very to access any of the web interfaces using my domain name it fails. However if I put the IP address in then I'm able to access it. For example if I type in the URL https://merciadragon.net/mail/ Firefox tells me "Unable to connect". However if I type in http://192.168.2.160/mail/ then a connection is made.

Interesting if I just type in merciadragon.net then in the address bar it will change to https://merciadragon.net/mail/  before it gives the unable to connect message.

I have attempted to turn off the firewall  but this makes no difference. Apart from that is beyond me. The rest of the installation seems to be OK but I do need to get this Apache things sorted out. In the past when I've just needed to install Apache I have never had any problem with it so we would seem there is something in the iRedMail installation that I have missed.

I hope someone can help me because it's the most straightforward mail server I have come across I have been trying for a couple weeks to get a mail server running.

The domain name I have given is my actual domain name the server is running and all relevant ports are open, if it helps someone to do an online test.

Robert…

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Under able to access web interfaces with hostname

Have you registered your domain name correctly on your DNS?

nerdtron09 wrote:

Have you registered your domain name correctly on your DNS?

Yes

I am going to have to take desperate steps as too much in hanging in the ballance. It might mean another build of the server I don'nt know yet. Will try a few things first. If anyone can still help me PLEASE get mack to me ASAP.

Robert.....

Just to rule out the DNS issue. Run the command "dig mail.emaildomain.com"
There should be an answer in that command.
And why is you email IP a private address? I mean that is not even routeable in the Internet except, of course, you have caonfigured a NAT or something.

nerdtron09 wrote:

Just to rule out the DNS issue. Run the command "dig mail.emaildomain.com"
There should be an answer in that command.
And why is you email IP a private address? I mean that is not even routeable in the Internet except, of course, you have caonfigured a NAT or something.

Thank you to getting back to me. In unfortunately my server is used for many things other than male and HTTP. The latter of which I just put a small blog up. I think my mistake was to take the whole thing down and to install the OS from scratch. That is a good idea if you have limited uses. The reason that you probably thought that the domain was private which it is not is in the process of putting back everything as it was I felt more comfortable closing of all the ports in the router.

I did very quickly put a very simple mail server up and it runs without any problems so what was the answer to my other problem is I don't know. In fact the iRedMail server work perfectly the problem was the web interface. For the time being I will not be installing any mail server and in the future I'm giving consideration that the mail server should be on a separate machine.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Robert…