Topic: Unable to receive external mail. No record in logs.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: ?
====

I am able to send/receive from internal accounts, send to external accounts, but not receive from external accounts (gmail, etc). I cannot find any log messages related to incoming mail. I have a feeling this may be DNS related, as I've tried numerous troubleshooting methods on this board, and DNS is the area I'm least confident with.

What steps should I take on Ubuntu 12.04 to verify that my DNS records are properly configured for iRedMail?

THANK YOU!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Unable to receive external mail. No record in logs.

Do you have a public static IP address?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Do you have a public static IP address?

I do. I have since installed Webmin to get a better look at my DNS settings. The existing zones are:

Root Zone, 0, 127, 255, and localhost

What I do not see is my domain name and, based on the tutorials I've read online, that is where I need to create a new MX record. My installation is on a VPS, and the service provider is the name server. When I submitted a ticket asking about the MX record, I was told that DNS settings are done "on the server".

Can you offer any advice on getting this to work with iRedMail?

Thank you.

I don't quite understand about the DNS part in your post.
I think you have to ask your DNS service provider. This is not a iRedMail issue.

Thanks for your reply. I believe you are right - the solution to my problem is in the hands of my service provider. I am surprised, however, that other iRedMail users do not have this issue. Surely I am not the only one installing on a hosted VPS.

If you are unable to receive mail, is there any mailer daemon email received by the sender?
Also, be sure that MX records are set when you configure the DNS.

I had this problem and fixed it.
If you install with local ip and then change to public ip you might get this problem.
Pls update to correct DNS in /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf