Topic: Bulk migrate users

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.2
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: N/A
====

Hi there,

I am planning to migrate some users to a new iRedMail server from an old Qmail server. I have all of the passwords for the users, and would like to keep the same passwords to avoid a user revolt.

FIRST:

I have seen the script at tools/create_mail_user_SQL.sh. Before I try and hack it myself, has anyone come up with a script to create a SQL output file that contains individual passwords instead of a single default password? In other words, if I start with a flat file containing user names, domains and passwords, does anyone have a script that can run through that list and create the necessary SQL output file based on the existing user names, domains and passwords?

SECOND:

It has been a while since I've done a mail migration, but once I've created the users on the new iRedMail server, I'll probably use an old IMAP-based migration tool I've used before. Has anybody done this and, if so, any tips or pitfalls to consider?

THIRD:

I've read the features and comparison list, but I'm confused about the difference between a "global admin" and a "normal admin". Ideally I would like to have different admins for different groups of domains -- e.g., admin1 only manages domain1, admin2 manages domain2 and domain3, admin3 manages domain4, domain5 and domain6, etc. Is this possible? Are these sub-admins "normal admins", and does the "global admin" manage all admins and all domains?

And can I initially set up the open source version of iRedMail with all of the domains, then upgrade, then assign each domain to the appropriate "normal admin"? Or must I start with a pro version from the beginning?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions.

Craig

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Bulk migrate users

craig wrote:

I have seen the script at tools/create_mail_user_SQL.sh. Before I try and hack it myself, has anyone come up with a script to create a SQL output file that contains individual passwords instead of a single default password? In other words, if I start with a flat file containing user names, domains and passwords, does anyone have a script that can run through that list and create the necessary SQL output file based on the existing user names, domains and passwords?

Just read your file and extract the password and use it.

craig wrote:

It has been a while since I've done a mail migration, but once I've created the users on the new iRedMail server, I'll probably use an old IMAP-based migration tool I've used before. Has anybody done this and, if so, any tips or pitfalls to consider?

Migrating mailboxes via IMAP protocol should be fine.
If you store mailboxes in Maildir format, you can simply copy mailboxes to iRedMail server too.

craig wrote:

I've read the features and comparison list, but I'm confused about the difference between a "global admin" and a "normal admin". Ideally I would like to have different admins for different groups of domains -- e.g., admin1 only manages domain1, admin2 manages domain2 and domain3, admin3 manages domain4, domain5 and domain6, etc. Is this possible? Are these sub-admins "normal admins", and does the "global admin" manage all admins and all domains?

"Global admin" is "super admin", it can manage all mail domains and profiles. Domain admin can only manage mail domains assigned to it.

With the latest iRedAdmin-Pro, you can create two kinds of domain admin account, one is marking existing mail user as domain admin, it can manage the same domain but no addition domains. Another one is creating a separate domain admin account, it's not a mail user, but it can manage mail domains assigned to it.

craig wrote:

And can I initially set up the open source version of iRedMail with all of the domains, then upgrade, then assign each domain to the appropriate "normal admin"? Or must I start with a pro version from the beginning?

To be clear, we have only one edition of iRedMail, it's free and open source. When we talk about "Pro", we're talking about iRedAdmin-Pro - our web based, full-featured admin panel for iRedMail. iRedMail ships iRedAdmin open source edition which has less features than iRedAdmin-Pro.

Back to your question: you can install iRedMail first and choose to install iRedAdmin open source edition during installation, then migrate from iRedAdmin open source edition to iRedAdmin-Pro by following our migration tutorial, it's easy: http://iredmail.org/wiki/index.php?titl … ro/OSE-Pro

Re: Bulk migrate users

Hi Zhang,

Thanks for answering my questions.

Craig