Topic: Virtual Domain Name

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian/wheezy
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello,

If I want email IDs as abc@mydomain.com, then do I have to specify the Virtual Domain Name as mydomain.com ? Can I give it as mx.mydomain.com ?

Please suggest.

Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Virtual Domain Name

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

If I want email IDs as abc@mydomain.com, then do I have to specify the Virtual Domain Name as mydomain.com ? Can I give it as mx.mydomain.com ?

Hi aniyan.rajan6 .. I am brand new to iRedMail but generally speaking from a DNS perspective, "abc@mydomain.com" and "abc@mx.mydomain.com" are completely different from each other.

Hope that helps.

Zhang,

Could you please reply ?

Thanks.

4 (edited by aniyan.rajan6 2013-10-07 22:00:34)

Zhang,

If I give the Virtual Domain Name as mx.mydomain.com during the installation, will I be able to create email ids like abc@mydomain.com ? Or is it necessary that I have to give the Virtual Domain Name as mydomain.com to get an email ID like abc@mydomain.com.

Please help. Thanks.

aniyan.rajan6 wrote:

Zhang,

Could you please reply ?

Thanks.

@john.blue answered your question. If you want email address ends with '@mydomain.com', you must create mail domain 'mydomain.com', not 'mx.mydomain.com'.