1 (edited by ssoorruu 2013-10-28 18:03:11)

Topic: Scenario solution:Main domain mailserver and 4 sub-domain mailservers

Hi all

I wonder if iRedMail could fulfill my requirement scenario. The scenario that I described as below.

=====
I used to have just 1 mailserver at Head Office which located at Java Island.
And also we have 4 branch offices connected by VPN over VSAT (256 Kbps, latency 500-2000 ms) at another separated Islands:
1. Branch Office in Borneo
2. Branch Office in Papua
3. Branch Office in Sulawesi
4. Branch Office in Sumatera

**Main purpose: saves VSAT bandwidth usage between Branch Office and Head Office.

I realizes that staffs at each Branch Office are often to send emails with big size attachment (5-10 MB) between staffs at their own branch office. For example, Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com are often to send emails with 5-10 MB attachments to Legal.Borneo@mycompany.com, and this traffic will use bandwidth from Borneo Office to Head Office, and back from Head Office to Borneo Office.

So if we can make mailserver at each site we can save bandwidth. With illustrated mailservers like this:
1. Borneo.mycompany.com
2. Papua.mycompany.com
3. Sulawesi.mycompany.com
4. Sumatera.mycompany.com

In condition like this:
1. Email sent from Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany to Legal.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany.com can saves VSAT Bandwidth because they're only use Local Area Network.
2. Email sent from Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany will be transformed to Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com, and then will be sent to Someone@gmail.com
3. People at Someone@gmail.com can send email to Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com, and then transformed to Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany.com, and received by Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany.com as well.
4. There is only 1 domain to be known by public, that is: Borneo.mycompany.com
5. There are hundreds of user at each Branch Office.

Question:
1. Do iRedMail had this feature?
2. If there's any limitation, what is the limitation?
3. And how to do this?

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 6.4 x86_64
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Scenario solution:Main domain mailserver and 4 sub-domain mailservers

ssoorruu wrote:

2. Email sent from Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany will be transformed to Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com, and then will be sent to Someone@gmail.com

"transformed", I guess you mean "masquerade", address rewritten, right?
If so, it's easy to achieve: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html# … de_domains

ssoorruu wrote:

3. People at Someone@gmail.com can send email to Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com, and then transformed to Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany.com, and received by Hrd.Borneo@Borneo.mycompany.com as well.

If someone@gmail.com sends email to Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com, email will be sent to mail server 'mycompany.com' (servers defined in DNS MX record of domain 'mycompany.com'), mail server at 'mycompany.com' accepts the email. You must set a per-user relay/transport for user 'Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com', so that mail server at 'mycompany.com' can relay received mail to server 'Borneo.mycompany.com'.

ssoorruu wrote:

Excuse me, the only 1 domain should be "mycompany.com", or "borneo.mycompany.com"?

Re: Scenario solution:Main domain mailserver and 4 sub-domain mailservers

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
ssoorruu wrote:

"transformed", I guess you mean "masquerade", address rewritten, right?
If so, it's easy to achieve: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html# … de_domains

Thank you ZhangHuangbin, I would try this one.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
ssoorruu wrote:

If someone@gmail.com sends email to Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com, email will be sent to mail server 'mycompany.com' (servers defined in DNS MX record of domain 'mycompany.com'), mail server at 'mycompany.com' accepts the email. You must set a per-user relay/transport for user 'Hrd.Borneo@mycompany.com', so that mail server at 'mycompany.com' can relay received mail to server 'Borneo.mycompany.com'.

I guess so, I had to set this per user.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
ssoorruu wrote:

Excuse me, the only 1 domain should be "mycompany.com", or "borneo.mycompany.com"?

Pardon me, the public domain should only be: mycompany.com .

Thank you, I'll inform you if anything happens (success/not)