Topic: Configuring two servers with separate storage to sync

Let's say I have two iRedMail servers with their own local storage

Say the 1st one is mx1.company.com (in MX 10 ...)
Say the 2nd one is mx2.company.com (in MX 20...)

Say the VM at mx2.company.com has 'Backup Mx' checked.

what does make the two servers synchronize between one another for

a) accounts
b) mails

Should the 1st server go offline, the mail will go to the 2nd server by way of the domain name IN MX with  the lower preference

So what is meant to work ?

F.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Configuring two servers with separate storage to sync

fmenard123 wrote:

what does make the two servers synchronize between one another for
a) accounts
b) mails

You have to sync them either manually or automatically.

*) For automatically sync mail accounts, you can try OpenLDAP replication (for OpenLDAP backend), or MySQL/PostgreSQL replication.
*) For mailboxes, you can try rsync or similar tools.

fmenard123 wrote:

Should the 1st server go offline, the mail will go to the 2nd server by way of the domain name IN MX with  the lower preference

It's suggested to read some doc about how backup mx works (not how it works on iRedMail).

I'm reading this:

http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_backup_mx

As I read this, the Backup Mx server is just a big spool, unaware of any specific user. This means that email cannot be retrieved from the Backup Mx while the main server is down.    This is not an active active setup.

Does it mean that on the 2nd iRedMail server, when you check 'Backup Mx', there is no need to configure any account ?

Is it necessary, or is there any advantage, for the Backup Mx to run iRedMail Pro ?

F.

fmenard123 wrote:

Does it mean that on the 2nd iRedMail server, when you check 'Backup Mx', there is no need to configure any account ?

Yes.
But it's able to add all your mail accounts on backup mx server so that Postfix (on backup mx) can still reject emails sent to non-existing addresses.

fmenard123 wrote:

Is it necessary, or is there any advantage, for the Backup Mx to run iRedMail Pro ?

Not necessary.