Topic: port 25 is no longer used for smtp authentication?!

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello

In upgrade tutorial 0.8.6-0.8.7 (http://iredmail.org/wiki/index.php?titl … connection)
there is a suggestion that "port 25 is no longer used for smtp authentication", but it still works for auth user to send mail if you select STARTTLS and port 25 in thunderbird for example, so what changed by setting  smtpd_tls_auth_only to 'yes'? Or there is some problem in my config?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: port 25 is no longer used for smtp authentication?!

redbaron wrote:

but it still works for auth user to send mail if you select STARTTLS and port 25 in thunderbird for example

Are you sure Thunderbird uses port 25 with TLS? Maybe it uses port 587 if you choose TLS? Is it possible for you to help check this?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
redbaron wrote:

but it still works for auth user to send mail if you select STARTTLS and port 25 in thunderbird for example

Are you sure Thunderbird uses port 25 with TLS? Maybe it uses port 587 if you choose TLS? Is it possible for you to help check this?

Yes,  I attached thunderbird configuration and checked with wireshark. Thunderbird is connecting to port 25 and uses STARTTLS:

220 qweqweqweqw ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
EHLO [10.0.0.254]
250-qweqweqweqwe
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 104857600
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

And sends mail successfully!

Post's attachments

Selection_003.png
Selection_003.png 12.28 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Oh, if it's secured with TLS, then it's ok. I guess i have improper description in iRedMail release notes, sorry about this.