Topic: phpMyAdmin-4.2.6 requires MySQL-5.5, what should we do on CentOS 6?

Dear all,

Since phpMyAdmin-4.2.3, it enforces the minimum PHP (5.3) and MySQL (5.5) versions, but RHEL/CentOS 6 ships MySQL-5.1.x, so we can NOT use the latest phpMyAdmin-4.2.6 on RHEL/CentOS 6.

Here comes the question, on RHEL/CentOS 6, which choice do you prefer?

1. Ship phpMyAdmin-4.2.2 which has known bugs and security issues, because it works with MySQL-5.1.x. And allow public access from external network.

2. Ship phpMyAdmin-4.2.2 and restrict access to 127.0.0.1 by default.

3. Don't provide phpMyAdmin in iRedMail

Also, some addition questions:

*) Do you use it frequently or rarely?
*) Is it hard for you to install phpMyAdmin (or other tools) manually?
*) Do you prefer to use a desktop application to connect to SQL database for management or a web application running on your server?
*) Are you satisfied to run a out-of-date phpMyAdmin version which has known bugs and security issues on your server?

NOTE: This applies only on RHEL/CentOS 6.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: phpMyAdmin-4.2.6 requires MySQL-5.5, what should we do on CentOS 6?

I personally prefer option 3, because i rarely use phpMyAdmin, and dropping it will reduce my workload because i can maintain less components. big_smile

Personally, I'd go for Option 3. I already remove it by default - Don't want it there at all. If I need to use mysql, it's done from the command line.

I say option 1.

I DO use it.

annonman wrote:

I say option 1.
I DO use it.

*) Do you use it frequently?
*) Is it hard for you to install it manually?
*) Is it better for you to use SQL command line tools instead of phpMyAdmin?

Shipping a web application which has known bugs/security issues is not a good idea. Please also check discussions in our mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … 5l1aDpxzSQ

Looks like I am outvoted.

I find it useful from time to time.  I could live without it.

Another option mentioned in the groups is to use a 3rd party repo and upgrade to mysql 5.5, OR use a different admin GUI.

It's useful, but we have to balance some conditions:

*) The latest phpMyAdmin doesn't support MySQL-5.1, so it doesn't work on RHEL/CentOS 6. Although RHEL/CentOS 7 has been released, but RHEL/CentOS 6 will be in production for several more years. Installing MySQL-5.5 from 3rd repo is not a good idea since we have MySQL in official yum repo and it works fine, you can get security fix from vender (RHEL/CentOS).

*) phpMyAdmin has a long history of security issues. phpMyAdmin team releases new versions frequently, If you forgot to update it in time, your server which runs phpMyAdmin becomes risky. Check security history here:
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/security/

*) Connecting to SQL server from a desktop application may require some addition work (e.g. open network port in firewall), but it's better for security.

*) Installing phpMyAdmin, or Adminer.org, or other tools should be easy enough.