Topic: Help for a beginer

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: iRedMail-0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  PGSQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 6.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,

I installed iRedMail and I was trying to send and receive mails for testing but I't doesn't seem to work.

I added MX, SPF and DKIM keys to the DNS server but may be I missed something important.

Where can I start checking to troubleshoot?

Thank you in advance...

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Help for a beginer

*) Can you send out email? e.g. send to Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail.
*) Can you receive emails sent from Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail?
*) Do you have correct A/MX records in DNS?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

*) Can you send out email? e.g. send to Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail.
*) Can you receive emails sent from Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail?
*) Do you have correct A/MX records in DNS?

I think the problem was in the SPF record.

I had to write "v=spf1 mx mx:server.domain -all" and instead I wrote "v=spf1 mx:server.domain -all"

The missing "mx" was causing the problem. I have to test it a little more and then I'll post the results.

Thank you very much for the inmediate response....

Ok, as far as I can see the server is now running smoothly.... but...

Now I have a little problem more related to DNS, reverse lookup and that kind of stuff.

When I was testing incomming and outgoing mails I noticed that the mechanism of incomming mails was executing in the right way, so the mails are greylisted until the sender retries a couple of times and the mail is accepted.

Unfortunately the outgoing mails are not accepted at all servers that I tested. So I assume that ussing this server in a production state will be more a problem than a solution.

I had mainly two different answers from servers that don't accept my mails.

One is that Spamcop or some Spam filter is denying access from my server.

The other is that the destination server can't find my domain doing a reverse lookup so it just discard my mails.

Of course, having a working mail server makes me at least trying to solve these external problems.

Can anyone guid me to a solution?

Thank you...

fmontes wrote:

Unfortunately the outgoing mails are not accepted at all servers that I tested. So I assume that ussing this server in a production state will be more a problem than a solution.

Wrong assume.

About "not accepted", is there any bounce message in your mailbox? Or in Postfix log file (/var/log/maillog)?

fmontes wrote:

The other is that the destination server can't find my domain doing a reverse lookup so it just discard my mails.

Not all mail servers check reverse DNS, so it doesn't matter that much.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Wrong assume.

About "not accepted", is there any bounce message in your mailbox? Or in Postfix log file (/var/log/maillog)?

Exactly, in /var/log/maillog it tells that the the server refuses to talk to me because it can't find my IP pointing to my domain name. The error is "450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname [MY IP]"

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Not all mail servers check reverse DNS, so it doesn't matter that much.

You are right but I'm replacing a working mail server running at a mail service provider and it's already working with almost every outgoing mail. My customer will not accept this server if he realizes that some mails are bounced at the destination server because of this or because spamcops doesn't trust on my server o my IP.

Have investigated and my conclusion is that I have to ask the ISP to add a ptr record on its DNS pointing to my domain name, and even in that case there is still the spamcop's filter problem pending.

May be ask spamcop to take my IP out if their blacklist or something like that, I don't know.

Another possible solution it to relay through another well known mail server, but it will cost money and that's what my customer wanted to avoid.

What do you suggest?

Of course, thank you very much for your help...

Wha tyou think ais what you should do, exactly. You need to have your ip removed from the blacklist, and you need a PTR for both your IPv4 and (if you have one) IPv6 address. Only the entity who gave you the ip address can assign the PTR.

How can I do to make iRedMail to relay avery outgoing mail through another mail server?