1 (edited by rustam.r.zaripov 2014-10-22 22:39:19)

Topic: User password encryption method

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
I am adding new user in database using sql query with MD5 for encryption and getting password like this 078bbb4bf0f7117fb131ec45f15b5b87. But iredadmin encrypts password in this form $1$PXKFd87T$9uJR1xJcxEImiJQHsUOsR0. So what I should to do to make my encrypted password like iredadmin version.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: User password encryption method

Check this tutorial: Password hashes. http://www.iredmail.org/docs/password.hashes.html

So {PLAIN-MD5}078bbb4bf0f7117fb131ec45f15b5b87 == $1$PXKFd87T$9uJR1xJcxEImiJQHsUOsR0 for system in my example.
But is there way to find out what algorithm and salt is used to make correct salted md5 for setting it in database?

iRedMail will prefix the algorithm name in password hash, e.g. {SSHA}, {SSHA512}, etc. Some password hashes don't contain this prefix, e.g. MD5 is identified by the password prefix like '$1$xxxxxxxx$...', and BCRYPT contains '$2a$...' or '$2b$...' prefix.

MD5 salt is random string. You should do some homework with Google.

5 (edited by rustam.r.zaripov 2014-10-23 18:58:21)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You should do some homework with Google.

Seems so. I realized how it work.
Thank you, ZhangHuangbin.