1 (edited by answerman 2014-11-01 20:51:00)

Topic: Failed Dovecot upgrade and rollback

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 5.6
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
I've been up for hours trying to fix this.

I decided it was time to upgrade from Dovecot 1.2.16 to Dovecot 2.0.21.  I followed the tutorial at:

http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic4493 … tos-5.html

and it didn't go well.  After I got through the install, the server was throwing errors like this:

Nov  1 07:11:39 mail2 postfix/smtpd[10736]: warning: SASL: Connect to /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth failed: No such file or directory
Nov  1 07:11:39 mail2 postfix/smtpd[10736]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms

So, after trying several things to make it work, I gave up and removed the new Dovecot packages and reinstalled the original Dovecot 1.2.16 and associated sieve and managesieve packages, and restored my original dovecot.conf that I had backed up.  At this point that's where I am, and I undid the changes I made to postfix/main.cf to try to solve this.  But, I am still getting the same errors shown above.

I finally resorted to deleting the authdb pipe in /var/run/dovecot per someone elses suggestion, and it did not recreate itself.  So now I don't know how to restore that either.

I'm lost.  I have triple checked all permissions, settings in both dovecot.conf and postfix/main.cf, and still it doesn't work.  Dovecot is running, but no mail is being delivered.

My last resort is to set up a new server and migrate to it, but I'm hoping that I don't have to since there are over 1000 users on over 200 domains and there's about 160GB of mail to move.

Help!

I'm still getting the same errors.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Failed Dovecot upgrade and rollback

answerman wrote:

Nov  1 07:11:39 mail2 postfix/smtpd[10736]: warning: SASL: Connect to /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth failed: No such file or directory

You should read this error message carefully.

It comlains sasl auth socket file /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth is not present, you just need to tune Postfix setting to use correct Dovecot sasl auth socket file. search 'dovecot-auth' in Dovecot config file will give you result.

By the way, you should try our paid support service to fix it while the problem occurs.

Re: Failed Dovecot upgrade and rollback

I actually did all that, but it didn't work.  The settings are all as you stated.  I ended up migrating to a new server with a fresh install of iRedMail and other than the usual migration issues, we're back up and running, and updated to the newest version (which was what I was trying to do in the first place).