1 (edited by tonyd 2015-01-13 04:29:46)

Topic: Forwarded email failing - Kind of

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: mail.log
====

We are trying to forward messages being delivered to an inbox via the iRedAdmin Panel.  The forward attempt is made from the server, but it fails with e 450 Exceeded Outbound Hourly Rate.

My company uses an Edgewave (formerly RedCondor) email Security Appliance, $75k solution with Cloud delivery services for no downtime. There are outbound rate limits set for "known" and "unknown senders". Known email boxes vs unknown. When a customer is set to forward email (via the iRedAdmin Panel), the <from>, is, of course, more often than not, from an off network source - aka:unknown sender and therefore ends up caught in the rate limit pool for ALL "unknown senders" and the email forward is deferred. Edgewave says I can raise the rate limit, but that to me goes against the purpose of the reason for the rate limit in the first place. So I'm wondering if I can perhaps rewrite the from, while I know this creates it's own problems. Perhaps someone has encountered this issue and could share a solution you found?  Or is there a better solution you have come up with or may suggest?

Thank you very much,

td

Example: westelm@ is the recipient of a message being forwarded as a result of a delivery attempt from off network to an active email account set to forward messages to westelm.  Because the sender is unknown (also not listed in the log) the email gateway appliance which mail3 uses as it's smarthost places the email in an "unknown senders" group and limits accordingly.

Jan 11 07:27:34 mail3 postfix/smtp[26973]: 703511015B5: to=<westelm@mail.westelm.com>, \
relay=spam1.mydomain.net[216.19.x.x]:25, delay=63599, delays=63599/0.04/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host \
spam1.mydomain.net[216.19.x.x] said: 451 Hourly outbound rate limit exceeded (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Forwarded email failing - Kind of

Does sieve rule work for you? Sieve rule is applied while delivering message to mailbox, it doesn't work in smtp session, so i *guess* it works for you in this case.

You can try to set a forwarding rule with Roundcube webmail (Settings -> Filters).