1 (edited by rossi256 2015-01-21 18:40:54)

Topic: Problems particularly with iOS clients sending/receiving

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.0 +pro
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: ubuntu 14.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: syslog/mail.log
====

I have another issue with my server -
i have set up my outlook 2013 client and iphones, ipads easily - all works...
but two of my partners want to set up too on an ipad and mac,- and can't get it to work.

the logfile says
Jan 21 08:43:12 imail postfix/smtpd[4034]: connect from 93-82-115-107.adsl.highway.telekom.at[IP]
Jan 21 08:43:12 imail postfix/smtpd[4034]: lost connection after UNKNOWN from 93-82-115-107.adsl.highway.telekom.at[IP]
Jan 21 08:43:12 imail postfix/smtpd[4034]: disconnect from 93-82-115-107.adsl.highway.telekom.at[IP]

a lot of connects and a lot of lost connections and disconnections in the log file all the way...

First i was thinking - not sure where i have that info/idea from - that their computers IP was on a blacklist cause of a dynamic address from their ISP, and spamhaus and barracuda have such a blacklist - but i found that also my ip is on such a list and my email clients and access works.

then i was thinking some DNS might be set up wrong. so i have some questions:
My server hostname is imail.domain1.com
the domain i try to get emails to work is domain2.com

1. Reverse DNS:
My server hostname and FDQN are set to imail.domain1.com (domain1 is one domain that i have also as email domain).
so i have set the reverse dns for my mail servers IP to imail.domain1.com

i have an A record in domain1.com that points to imail.domain1.com (is that necessary actually?)

also i have an MX record in domain2.com that points to mail.domain2.com and an A record for domain2.com that points to the IP of the iredmail server.

2. resolv.conf:
my host (OVH) says in their setup guides (http://help.ovh.ie/BridgeClient) to put here only:
/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 213.186.33.99

however i have added
search domain1.com
to try to help the issue - but didn't solve it yet
i copied the resolv.conf to the according postfix spool dir too.

3. hosts file i have set like this:
127.0.0.1 imail.domain1.com imail localhost localhost.localdomain
MYSERVERSIP        imail.domain1.com imail

4. hostname is imail
hostname -f is imail.domain1.com

5. postfix
mydomain = domain1.com
myhostname = imail.domain1.com

is this setup correct?
what else can cause these errors? or where to look for a more detailed error reason?

thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Problems particularly with iOS clients sending/receiving

rossi256 wrote:

but two of my partners want to set up too on an ipad and mac,- and can't get it to work.

Any error message on the iPad/Mac? The most important thing is, how do your partners configure their mail clients?

If the client applications can connect to your server, that means your DNS records should be fine.

i have looked for a How to for different mail clients for a while but haven't found a definite one - maybe a good thing to do for iredmail documentation in the future.

i have told them to configure the clients the same way i do it on mine.
for example ipad iOS 8
1. add new email account
2. OTHER
3. IMAP
4. Enter all details like email address as user name, password obviously, mail server and again the same for SMTP server.
5. confirm

the creation of the imap account takes almost a minute but then there are checkboxes everywhere and the account is accessible on my ipad and all seems fine.

the configuration automatically checks SSL ON / authentication: password / incoming server port 993 / outgoing server port 587

the message on the client is somehow that it can not connect to the mail server.

The DNS configuration as i wrote it there has no obvious mistakes?
like the hosts file configuration or the reverse dns pointing to imail.domain1.com?

thanks!!!

Is it possible to show us screenshots of the account settings? this helps us understand how you setup mail accounts.