Topic: Alias vs Forwarding

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Dear Team,

Can anyone clarify at what time we can use Alias or Forwarding in iredadmin? I want to apply for my clients as they need some users to have a read only email copy and another need to send e-mail using different identities.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Alias vs Forwarding

The biggest difference is, mail alias account doesn't have a mailbox, so you cannot save a copy on its own mailbox.

Thanks ZhangHuangbin. Can you advice me on this scenario: I have an e-mail account that is supposed to receive and save a copy of mails/messages, this e-mail account should have members that will need to send e-mails using a different identity and those who will not be able to send any email with this identity email but they should only receive a copy of emails in their mailbox. Where should I place members with permission to receive a copy and send email using this identity and where should I place members that will only receive a copy?

Could you please show us basic info of your iRedMail server? so that i can know which backend you're running and give you possible solution/direction to solve this issue.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

If you're running OpenLDAP backend, there's a possible solution. But i have no GOOD idea yet with SQL backends.

Maybe here's the general solution:

*) Remove 'reject_sender_login_mismatch' in /etc/postfix/main.cf.
*) Enable plugin 'reject_sender_login_mismatch' in iRedAPD. Sample setting in its config file /opt/iredapd/settings.py:

plugins = ['reject_null_sender', 'amavisd_wblist', 'reject_sender_login_mismatch', ...]

# List all local senders who are allowed to send as different identities
ALLOWED_LOGIN_MISMATCH_SENDERS = ['user1@xx', 'user2@xx', 'user3@xx']

# Don't strictly restrict sender identities to user alias addresses.
ALLOWED_LOGIN_MISMATCH_STRICTLY = False

With below settings, only 3 users (on your server) listed in ALLOWED_LOGIN_MISMATCH_SENDERS are allowed to send email as different identities. WARNING: it can be any identities.

*) For "those who will not be able to send any email with this identity email but they should only receive a copy of emails in their mailbox", you can forward email to them.

Thanks for sharing. My intention is that. I have say mycompany@mydomain.com as an email account of which should deliver a copy of email to other mailboxes say staff1@mydomain.com, staff2@mydomain.com, staff3@mydomain.com etc. I need staff2@mydomain.com and staff3@mydomain.com to be able to send mail using their accounts as well as using mycompany@mydomain.com without login as mycompany@mydomain.com but test1@mydomain.com will only receive a copy of email for mycompany@mydomain.com not sending email as mycompany@mydomain.com.  My question, will Forward/Alias help on this? If yes how.

I am using OpenLDAP as backend to store accounts and iRedAdmin to manage users.

Alias and forwarding just forward received emails. There's nothing to do with them if you want to send email as someone.

I think my last reply should solve your issue.