Topic: Roadmap: iRedMail-1.0

Dear all, here's roadmap to iRedMail-1.0, please don't hesitate to share your suggestions.

I listed some tasks in bitbucket page below, but it's not complete:
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/issu … tatus=open

Below are some major features i want to implement, i will update this topic to add further ideas/tasks.

*) Switch to slapd.d to configure OpenLDAP

The older style slapd.conf(5) file is still supported, but its use is deprecated and support for it will be withdrawn in a future OpenLDAP release.

Hope we can get extra benefits from this, for example, show admin real-time info of OpenLDAP server in iRedAdmin-Pro, maybe more.

*) [DONE] Integrate mlmmj for full-featured mailing list management

Mlmmj is a simple and slim mailing list manager, easy to configure, and supports multiple virtual mail domains.

*) [DONE] Drop support for Apache, use Nginx only

*) Shipping more components brings more workload, especially components for the same feature (e.g. Apache vs Nginx, Roundcube vs SOGo).

*) iRedMail focuses on mail services, not an all-in-one solution (e.g. FTP, Samba, Ejabberd, ownCloud, etc). we need one web server, and it's better to ship ONLY ONE web server to reduce the maintenance workload.

*) iRedMail ships only Nginx, that doesn't means you cannot install Apache yourself if you need some features which aren't offered by Nginx, you're free to install additional components whenever you want AFTER iRedMail installation.

I know some users need Apache to support some special applications, but there's no reason to support two web servers in iRedMail for mail services. I will leave Apache installation/configuration jobs to these customers, and i believe you can handle it very well. smile

*) [DONE] Improve SQL structure of "vmail" database [for SQL backends]

Merge some SQL tables for easier/better maintenance, avoid duplicate records/data. for example, sender_bcc_domains, sender_bcc_users, recipient_bcc_domains, recipient_bcc_users, they should be merged into 'domain' and 'mailbox' tables. table 'alias_domain' should be merged into 'domain' too.

Note: this is a draft plan, need more deep testing.

SQL structure change impacts iRedAdmin-Pro, so iRedAdmin-Pro will be updated at the same time.

[DONE] Better ActiveSync support through SOGo

*) SOGo supports Exchange ActiveSync (EAS).
*) Documents of mail client setup are available here: http://www.iredmail.org/docs/

[DONE] postscreen support in Postfix

Needless to say, postscreen is a must have for anti-spam. it was inspired by OpenBSD spamd(8), great idea and great implementation.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Roadmap: iRedMail-1.0

How will we solve this in the future releases:

"If you're running Nginx instead of Apache, both Awstats (url: /awstats) and Cluebringer (url: /cluebringer) are not accessible, because Nginx doesn't have (official) SQL/LDAP authentication module. You have to switch to Apache instead."

Will you use inofficial for awstats and Cluebringer or not? Why I'm asking this, is because you are dropping the support for apache in 1.0.

We have several possible solutions:

1) Drop Awstats / Cluebringer too. This is not good if you want one/all of them.
2) Use separate accounts instead of authenticating against existing mail accounts.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

We have several possible solutions:

1) Drop Awstats / Cluebringer too. This is not good if you want one/all of them.
2) Use separate accounts instead of authenticating against existing mail accounts.

I don't undestand why drop Apache. It gives much more configuration options than nginx.

Dear buzzzo,

it's already explained in first post:

I know some users need Apache to support some special applications, but there's no reason to support two web service in iRedMail for mail services. I will leave Apache installation/configuration jobs to these customers, and i believe they're quite good at this.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Dear buzzzo,

I know some users need Apache to support some special applications, but there's no reason to support two web service in iRedMail for mail services. I will leave Apache installation/configuration jobs to these customers, and i believe they're quite good at this.

Hi Zhang,
I think buzzzo means, why choose Nginx instead of Apache? We know Nginx is faster, but as buzzzo said Apache has more configuration options. There may also be other packages (system monitoring for example) that work better under Apache then Nginx that people may want to install as well.

Just curious..

With thanks..

Blocker wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Dear buzzzo,

Hi Zhang,
I think buzzzo means, why choose Nginx instead of Apache? We know Nginx is faster, but as buzzzo said Apache has more configuration options. There may also be other packages (system monitoring for example) that work better under Apache then Nginx that people may want to install as well.

Just curious..

With thanks..

I think what is meant in this instance, is Zhang wants to get the overall package as fast as possible for those barebones or minimalist users, or if this is to be used as a Mail Only Server. Apache can easily be running behind NGinx and this is often better than running Apache straight up. Your mileage may vary, while yes Apache is more configurable, there isn't much iRedMail needs that configurability for so there is no point shipping with it, nothing stopping you installing both. I'm sure you'll still be able to remove NGinx and get iRedMail running with just Apache just as it does now.

7t3chguy wrote:
Blocker wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Dear buzzzo,

Hi Zhang,

Just curious..

With thanks..

I think what is meant in this instance, is Zhang wants to get the overall package as fast as possible for those barebones or minimalist users, or if this is to be used as a Mail Only Server. Apache can easily be running behind NGinx and this is often better than running Apache straight up. Your mileage may vary, while yes Apache is more configurable, there isn't much iRedMail needs that configurability for so there is no point shipping with it, nothing stopping you installing both. I'm sure you'll still be able to remove NGinx and get iRedMail running with just Apache just as it does now.

I am one of those "barebones/minimalist" people so I can relate to that smile

Yes, I can run both if needed or choose either one. I was just curious as to the choice of NGinx, but if it's for speed and minimal install then that's fair enough, I can understand that..

9 (edited by lito 2015-02-04 19:45:50)

I'm just wondering what will happen if I'll decide to instal now iredmail with apache, could I upgrade iredmail to newer version if you will drop apache support? What will happen, your script will remove apache and install nginx instead? Or they are both would be installed simultaneously? Can it cause conflicts?

I'm asking because I'm planning to use vps with iredmail installed as backup/test web server for my sites. And my main server working on apache for now, so it's much easier for me to maintain and configure two apache web servers, than main on apache and auxilary on nginx.

I know that youn can say that nginx faster and less resource-intensive, etc., but I like apache and I really used to it. And my projects are small and doesn't require all benefits of nginx, and I belive that there are exists a lot of peaople like me. So I think that there are no reason to drop support of apache in further builds of iredmail.

Dear all,

Feedbacks, suggestions are always welcome. smile

*) Shipping more components brings more workload, especially components for the same feature (e.g. Apache vs Nginx, Roundcube vs SOGo).

*) iRedMail focuses on mail services, not an all-in-one solution (e.g. FTP, Samba, Ejabberd, ownCloud, etc). we need one web server, and it's better to ship ONLY ONE web server to reduce the maintenance workload.

*) iRedMail ships only Nginx, that doesn't means you cannot install Apache yourself if you need some features which doesn't offer by Nginx, you're free to install additional components whenever you want AFTER iRedMail installation.

Hope it makes sense.

lito wrote:

I'm just wondering what will happen if I'll decide to instal now iredmail with apache, could I upgrade iredmail to newer version if you will drop apache support? What will happen, your script will remove apache and install nginx instead? Or they are both would be installed simultaneously? Can it cause conflicts?

You will use iRedMail script once - installing iRedMail. After you have iRedMail installed and running, you don't need iRedMail script at all. If you check iRedMail upgrade tutorials, you will find we don't remove packages (removing Apache in your case) during upgrading. Removing Apache or keep it, it's totally up to you.
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/iredmail.releases.html

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Dear all,

Feedbacks, suggestions are always welcome. smile

*) iRedMail ships only Nginx, that doesn't means you cannot install Apache yourself if you need some features which doesn't offer by Nginx, you're free to install additional components whenever you want AFTER iRedMail installation.

Hope it makes sense.

Not to mention, supporting multiple packages that provide the same feature-set over multiple platforms is just more chances for SOMETHING to go wrong and not work as desired

7t3chguy wrote:

Not to mention, supporting multiple packages that provide the same feature-set over multiple platforms is just more chances for SOMETHING to go wrong and not work as desired

You're right. For example, if we need to support new component X, let me show you what i need to test:

- CentOS 6 + MySQL
- CentOS 6 + PGSQL
- CentOS 6 + LDAP
- CentOS 7 + MySQL
- CentOS 7 + PGSQL
- CentOS 7 + LDAP
- Debian 7 + [MySQL, PGSQL, LDAP]
- Ubuntu 12.04 + [MySQL, PGSQL, LDAP]
- Ubuntu 14.04 + [MySQL, PGSQL, LDAP]
- Ubuntu 14.10 + [MySQL, PGSQL, LDAP]
- FreeBSD 10 + [MySQL, PGSQL, LDAP]
- OpenBSD 5.6 + [MySQL, PGSQL, LDAP]

You can do a simple math.

I re-implemented iRedMail 0.9.0 on a Centos 6.6 server to play with Sogo. My experience is that Android will do Activesync to my shiny new iRedMail server with no complaint, but I am still struggling to get Outlook (on Mac) to connect, but Outlook does IMAP to the same server with no issue. I am still investigating and will report any findings. On the whole, I like Sogo so far and I am happy that ZHB included it.

iperkins wrote:

I re-implemented iRedMail 0.9.0 on a Centos 6.6 server to play with Sogo. My experience is that Android will do Activesync to my shiny new iRedMail server with no complaint, but I am still struggling to get Outlook (on Mac) to connect, but Outlook does IMAP to the same server with no issue. I am still investigating and will report any findings. On the whole, I like Sogo so far and I am happy that ZHB included it.

If you look at the v0.9 changelog it says Outlook is not yet compatible.

iRedMail-0.9.0 doesn't correctly config Apache/Nginx/SOGo to handle ActiveSync.

To support old versions of Outlook, we need OpenChange+Samba4, it's not ideal solution. So I will try sogo-activesync package to provide EAS first (mentioned in first post).

Hello,

how things are going with the development of a fundamentally new version?
In what month is expected to release the final version?

Thank you!

kysil wrote:

iRedMail new release (0.9.1) will come out very soon.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
kysil wrote:

iRedMail new release (0.9.1) will come out very soon.

Can we expect that the release will take place by the end of April?

It will be early May. We need some time to test Debian 8, Ubuntu 15.04, OpenBSD 5.7 (will be released on May 1).

Today's email threats are not fully covered by ClamAV or SpamAssasin.
I would like to integrate CooKoo Sandbox to iRedMail for automatic malware analysis.
Can users modify current AMaVIS for such specific additional filtering needs?
Also, how can I localize iRedMail for two-byte languages like Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc.

Dear @dejeon,

I suggest you ask in Amavisd mailing list instead.

Hello.

It would be great to have an enhanced logging of fail2ban actions to the database, so it can be viewed by Admins in Admin log in iRedAdmin.

Idea : http://www.saas-secure.com/online-servi … aring.html

I'll be implementing this for pgsql, so i can share ..

Regards,
Stanislav

Good idea. smile

stannicek wrote:

Hello.

It would be great to have an enhanced logging of fail2ban actions to the database, so it can be viewed by Admins in Admin log in iRedAdmin.

Idea : http://www.saas-secure.com/online-servi … aring.html

I'll be implementing this for pgsql, so i can share ..

Regards,
Stanislav

Implemented. I'll do some testing and will send you complete code package + steps.

Regards,
Stanislav