Topic: does some tunings need for many accounts?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.2
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: ubuntu-14.04.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
I have been testing the iredmail for long times. I have a question. i wish to consult you.

1-) I have about 2000 users.  i am about to migrate those users into the iredmail server.
Do i have to do any tunings regard to such as sogo.conf, ldap, mysql, apache, concurrent smtp settings?
any advices?
which is better for many accounts ? openldap backend or mysql backend ?

2-) Also could you advise me calendar plugin for roundcube? I some googled but my mind confused

3-) There is a tool create_mail_user_OpenLDAP.sh to add accounts. I would like to set normal value of MAILDIR_STYLE instead of hashed. I can't see it. there is in create_mail_user_Mysql.sh

Thanks a lot

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: does some tunings need for many accounts?

yavuz.maslak wrote:

1-) I have about 2000 users.  i am about to migrate those users into the iredmail server.
Do i have to do any tunings regard to such as sogo.conf, ldap, mysql, apache, concurrent smtp settings?
any advices?
which is better for many accounts ? openldap backend or mysql backend ?

Either is ok. We recommend you to choose the one you're familiar with.

yavuz.maslak wrote:

2-) Also could you advise me calendar plugin for roundcube? I some googled but my mind confused

iRedMail ships SOGo groupware, it offers webmail, calendar (CalDAV), contacts (CardDAV) and tasks, you can manage them with SOGO web interface. did you test them? I suggest you give it a try.

yavuz.maslak wrote:

3-) There is a tool create_mail_user_OpenLDAP.sh to add accounts. I would like to set normal value of MAILDIR_STYLE instead of hashed. I can't see it. there is in create_mail_user_Mysql.sh

Try this:

Update file 'conf/global' in iRedMail directory, change value of 'MAILDIR_STYLE' to 'normal':

# Maildir style: hashed, normal.
export MAILDIR_STYLE='normal'

Now tools/create_mail_user_OpenLDAP.sh will generate maildir path like 'domain/username/'.

The number of email accounts in total doesn't impact the server performance, but the number of inbound/outbound emails matters.

Would you mind sharing some info of your old server?

- How many emails it sent and received per-day.
- Hardware info including CPU, RAM, disk storage (And how about your new server?)

32 Gbyte Ram
about 50.000 mails per day

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

The number of email accounts in total doesn't impact the server performance, but the number of inbound/outbound emails matters.

Would you mind sharing some info of your old server?

- How many emails it sent and received per-day.
- Hardware info including CPU, RAM, disk storage (And how about your new server?)

Some suggestions:

*) Setup a DNS server in LAN or localhost to cache DNS queries. It helps a lot -- mail services heavily rely on DNS service and perform many DNS queries.
*) Enable DNSBL and/or postscreen to help reduce spam. It helps a lot. We have a script to enable postscreen (just one command): https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/src/ … at=default (script 'enable_postscreen.sh')
*) Update Amavisd + Postfix config files to process more emails concurrently: http://www.iredmail.org/docs/concurrent.processing.html

Well, i created a document to list performance tuning tips. currently only 3 tips:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/performance.tuning.html