Topic: I might need some migrating tips...

Hi again.

As this forum gave me a fast and working answer to my question last time, i'll again want to ask something to the community and/or devs.

We're planning to migrate about 360 users from our ISPs Mail-Server to a brand new and totally sparkling iRedMail-server. The server is running without any problems and everything works like a charm. The only problem I've got atm is that I don't exactly know how to migrate all the users.

My plan was to fetch the mails via fetchmail from our ISPs Server (only POP3 available) to the iRedMail server and configure postfix to use the ISPs SMTP-server as a relay for sending the mails. While testing this worked wonderful when I used a different domain dedicatet for testing, but now as i'm working with the "real" domain I faced some troubles I can't solve on my own.
The smtp-relay relatet stuff all works. I can send mails and thei're correctly delivered.
When i fetch the mails with fetchmail, they are correctly picked up from the ISPs server and correctly delivered to the iRedMail server. The only problem is that postfix (who should be responsible for delivering mails to the local dirs) is configured to use the relay-settings. Example:

1) Fetchmail picks up the mail from www@example.com and delivers it to postfix.
2) Postfix looks up the mail-adress www@example.com which is actually configured in iRedMail and on the ISPs server.
3) Postfix then delivers the mail back to my ISP and not to localhost(I guess it's because of the smtp-relay configuration)...
4) INFINITE LOOP, YAY smile

What I'm thinking atm: Maybe my approach is not that good anyway.

Are there any tips for migrating many users from an old server to a new iRedMail-server who both run under the same domain. I don't have any access to the ISPs Mail-Server btw. I only got access to a very basic web-interface with like, no options... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: I might need some migrating tips...

igot2b wrote:

Hi again.

As this forum gave me a fast and working answer to my question last time, i'll again want to ask something to the community and/or devs.

We're planning to migrate about 360 users from our ISPs Mail-Server to a brand new and totally sparkling iRedMail-server. The server is running without any problems and everything works like a charm. The only problem I've got atm is that I don't exactly know how to migrate all the users.

hi,
i just migrate from qmail+vpopmail, i don't know what was your previous mail server
but maybe my hint can help you

i'm now using postfix with mysql, and i see my vpopmail installation use MD5Crypt to store password, the same as mysql on iRedmail, so i just take the vpasswd file,
then read it variable using bash --> insert them to mysql

i just modify the home folder of each account from
/var/vpopmail/domains/user ---> /var/vmail/vmail1/domain/user

of course i have the username, encrypted-pass, full name, mail folder and quota
so i just recreate them automatically to mysql on bash shell

for each user mail folder, i'm done it with rsync, because my previos qmail install
using Maildir, which is the same as default iRedmail

for my other sub domain, i just doing a repeat on bash

they all very simple, but take me two days for making the bash scripts, because i'm not
expert of making shell script.

for migrating using ldap, i don't know, because i still never understand ldap, which kind better..