1 (edited by christophk 2017-01-09 18:46:25)

Topic: Basic Server Settings (domains)

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and CentOS 7.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MYSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? - no
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi Zhang

I have problems in setting up the server in a way, that my emails don't land in the spam folders of gmail and microsoft, although the server settings and emails all seem to pass available online tests (mailtester, port25.com).

Probably hostname, HELO, spf, ptr and dkim records are not setup as expected and I did something wrong already during the setup of iRedmail.

The intention of this topic is not only so solve my own issues but hopefully also to give a guideline for other users what domain-addresses to chose in the beginning (and what not) for the future.

I set up iRedMail with the following input:

# Setup:
- CentOS 7.2
- Nginx
- iRedmail 0.9.5-1
- MariaDB

- Server IP Address: 11.11.11.11
- hostname: server.mydomain.com (the name that shows "hostname" on CentOS)
- FQDN: server.mydomain.com (the name that shows "hostname -f" on CentOS)
- Emailaddress example: user@mydomain.com
- MX domain: office.mydomain.com

# DNS Records:
- mydomain.com --> A --> 11.11.11.11
- mydomain.com --> MX --> office.mydomain.com
- office.mydomain.com --> A --> 11.11.11.11
- server.mydomain.com --> A --> 11.11.11.11
- 11.11.11.11 --> PTR --> office.mydomain.com (IPv4)
- xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:0000:0000:0000:0001 --> PTR --> office.mydomain.com (IPv6)
- dkim._domainkey.mydomain.com    --> TXT --> v=DKIM1; p=MIGfM..xxx (amavisd testkeys --> pass)
- mydomain.com --> TXT --> v=spf1 a mx ~all
- mydomain.com --> TXT --> google-site-verification=aTm...xxx

# Other settings (as far as I knew were to look):
- HELO: server.mydomain.com

# My current questions:
- Should I change hostname to the same name as the MX Domain (Use office.mydomain.com instead of server.mydomain.com)?
    - Is it save to do so without a fresh install?
- Should I change the HELO to office.mydomain.com?
    - Where can I do that?
- Are there other settings that I should change from server.mydomain.com --> office.mydomain.com (or mydomain.com)?

Hope this all makes sense,

Chris

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Basic Server Settings (domains)

The MX domain name, server hostname, HELO should be the SAME one.

We have a tutorial for you:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/change.ser … tname.html

Thanks a lot Zhang

For me this was really helpful.

When I installed iRedmail, I understood from the messages during the installation process that ghe "hostname" and the "mx domain" need to be different so that system messages can be received.

I must have understood that wrong but maybe that could made a bit clearer?
I am travelling at the moment but when I find some time then I will find the part in the setup process that confused me and let you know.

Chris

Sorry, i had a mistake in my previous reply, i didn't clearly point out what "MX domain name" is.

*) Let's say your mail domain name is "mydomain.com", your email address is "user@mydomain.com".
*) Your server HOSTNAME (the one get by command "hostname" or "hostname -f") can NOT be "mydomain.com". Instead, it can be something like "mail.mydomain.com", "mx.mydomain.com", "xyz.mydomain.com". Let's use "mail.mydomain.com" for example here.
*) Postfix uses server hostname as HELO hostname by default. So the HELO will be "mail.mydomain.com".
*) In MX type DNS record of mail domain name "mydomain.com", it must point to an A type DNS record, not an IP address. Since this mail domain name is hosted on server "mail.mydomain.com", you MUST add A type DNS record for domain name "mail.mydomain.com", then set the MX type DNS record of mail domain name "mydomain.com" pointing to "mail.mydomain.com".

Hi Zhang

Thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for the late reply.

I just wanted to add to this post what confused me during the iredmail installation.

It says: specify your first mail domain name, which can NOT be the same as the server hostname.
(I am actually still confused what should be defined there, because it seems to have defined my server hostname).

I added a picture for explanation.

Greetings, Chris

Post's attachments

IMG_0802.PNG 190.86 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

*) Don't use your server hostname in this dialog page.
*) Please input your mail domain name. (the domain part of your email address).

If the mail domain name you're going to use is same as server hostname, you must change server hostname first, then re-run iRedMail installer.