Topic: Email aliases / mail lists

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6 OPENLDAP edition.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache 2.2.15
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? NO
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

On our old server (CentOS 6.9 with OpenWebMail) I created mail lists for my users by adding an alias to /etc/aliases as follows:

maillist1: :include:/var/lib/samba/maillists/maillist1.txt

This allowed the no-so-technical users to add/update the mail lists via SAMBA and was a pretty elegant solution.

With iRedmail I am finding non-existent email addresses  are rejected before they get to postfix for delivery. I've tried editing/adding a Global Address Book using phpldapadmin but it is not working according the the documentation at http://www.iredmail.org/docs/ldap.add.mail.list.html. Also, adding 112 email addresses that way is tedious and  prone to error.

Is there  a batch method for setting up Global Address Books or, even better, a way to allow users to email aliases defined in a text file such as my example above?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Email aliases / mail lists

Short answer is: NO. iRedMail doesn't use any text file on user's home directory to store mail forwarding addresses.

Search "ldap:" in our document page will give you few tutorials about creating new accounts:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/

Thank you Zhang. I figured out a way to get it done.

Would you mind sharing it?

Sure. It's really simple when you think about it.

vi /etc/postfix/aliases and add your mail list as an include:
maillist: :include:/etc/mail/maillist.txt

Run newaliases command

Enter the plain mail addresses in the format name@domain.net, one per line, no special formatting,

email to: maillist@localhost.localdomain

Works just like it you would expect.

Thanks for sharing. smile