Topic: Integrate Mailman

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6 MARIADB edition
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL (MariaDB)
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello,

We're looking at adding a Mailman installation. I found a link here to an external document at https://www.howtoforge.com/installing-i … an-squeeze which looked promising as a starting point. The referenced iRedMail version there is 0.7.3.

I'm concerned about the proposed database insertions. Have these tables remained constant since that version?

INSERT INTO `vmail`.`domain` (`domain`, `description`, `disclaimer`, `aliases`, `mailboxes`, `maxquota`, `quota`, `transport`, `backupmx`, `defaultuserquota`, `defaultuseraliases`, `defaultpasswordscheme`, `minpasswordlength`, `maxpasswordlength`, `created`, `modified`, `expired`, `active`) VALUES ('lists.example.com', '', '', '0', '0', '0', '0', 'mailman:', '0', '1024', '', '', '0', '0', NOW(), '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '9999-12-31 00:00:00', '1');

INSERT INTO `alias` (`address`, `goto`, `name`, `moderators`, `accesspolicy`, `domain`, `created`, `modified`, `expired`, `active`) VALUES
('mailman@example.com', 'mailman@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-admin@example.com', 'mailman-admin@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-bounces@example.com', 'mailman-bounces@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-confirm@example.com', 'mailman-confirm@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-join@example.com', 'mailman-join@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-leave@example.com', 'mailman-leave@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-owner@example.com', 'mailman-owner@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-requests@example.com', 'mailman-requests@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-subscribe@example.com', 'mailman-subscribe@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1),
('mailman-unsubscribe@example.com', 'mailman-unsubscribe@lists.example.com', '', '', 'public', 'example.com', NOW(), NOW(), '9999-12-31 00:00:00', 1);

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Integrate Mailman

We don't official support Mailman in iRedMail (yet), so you're on your own.

But why not setup a VM for testing? it's ok to mess up, just restore the VM and try again.

The SQL database used in my iRedMail v0.9.6 appears to be compatible with the SQL in that document today, but there is an ongoing database redesign and it is likely those instructions will not be valid after the next iRedMail release.

Did you successfully implement these directions? There's something missing because following them I get almost functional until postfix logs this:

"status=deferred (mail transport unavailable)"

And that doesn't surprise me much. When I looked at the SQL they recommend I immediately wondered where the transport "mailman:" is defined.

It turns out there's a (default?) mailman entry in /etc/postfix/master.cf that was commented out. Uncommenting it creates different errors. Further research reveals that the primary mailman developers dis-recommend /usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py, the script that postfix's master.cf references for mailman: transport.

So I'm in the process of building from ground up using mailman wiki official instructions for postfix integration.

http://www.list.org/mailman-install/pos … ation.html

Unfortunately they never address the issue of transport definition. In fact there's no reference to master.cf at all in their docs.

4 (edited by ikewinski 2017-05-22 05:37:26)

ikewinski wrote:

So I'm in the process of building from ground up using mailman wiki official instructions for postfix integration.

http://www.list.org/mailman-install/pos … ation.html

Unfortunately they never address the issue of transport definition. In fact there's no reference to master.cf at all in their docs.

I ended up using this tutorial and it works nicely on CentOS 7:

http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic1582 … hel-5.html

There's no required lists subdomain which is a bonus, so no SQL modifications are needed at all. Also there's no transport needed as a result. The file-based aliases that mailman creates just pipes the received emails directly to mailman. This also means you don't ever see anything in iRedAdmin (I think means you could break lists by creating an account that overrides?).

Also I think running mailman's genaliases by hand messed up some permissions and I had to run 'bin/check_perms -f' to get list mail working.

It does seem to work fine with virtual domains and I'm able to create new lists via the web interface now.