Topic: One client can not connect from satellite connection

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.2
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 14.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes, v2.1.3 (MySQL)
====

I have a few email users on vacation who cannot connect when they are on the cruise ship. It's a family of 4 users, and each cannot connect on their phone or through webmail. They can connect fine when they are at a hotel. I have checked the password, and see the connect attempts in the log.

I would guess it is timing out due to the internet lag. Is there an easy way to fix the issue? They have emailed me using yahoo, and it works fine. They also receive my replies.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by SteveInAkron 2017-06-20 07:59:53)

Re: One client can not connect from satellite connection

More info from dovecot.log below. IP addresses munged. It seems to be disconnecting too quickly. There are about 6 of these entries, and all the times are all less than 3 seconds.

Jun 19 04:18:33 pop3-login: Info: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=162.273.210.32, lip=166.218.139.311, TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() syscall failed: Connection reset by peer, session=<yDnjx0tSowA+SdIC>

Seems caused by unstable network connection. No idea.

I think it may be a connection issue as well, but their other email addresses at the university, yahoo, etc. work fine.

Seems we don't have many choices:
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Timeouts

I suggest posting to Dovecot mailing list to get support from developers:
https://www.dovecot.org/mailinglists.html

Hi,

Since they can use other mail services properly on their ship suggests the problem is not related to the quality of the satellite link itself.

Some phone providers do not allow all ports. You should try to see if their satellite provider isn't blocking some ports that your mail server is using.

Also you should specify what kind of connection their phone use when they are at the hotel (3g/wifi/sat...)

They tried with webmail also. I would think that would work, but it will not let them log in. I suspect there is a man-in-the-middle proxy on the ship that is disallowing secure connections. The probably have to install the certificate to make secure sites work.

I am forwarding all the mail to the working accounts for now, but it's less than ideal.

I have increased the debug level in the nginx config file. I'm going to see what I catch with the following in nginx.conf

events {
    debug_connection IP_of_Ship;
}