Topic: problem pureftpd-mysql and iredmail

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: ubuntu server 16,04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello, I have a problem installing iredmail

I have a vps server with ovh. I have installed pureftpd-mysql following this tutorial
Https://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-hosting-with-pureftpd-and-mysql-incl-quota-and-bandwidth-management-on-ubuntu-14.04-lts-p2

Everything works correctly, I can connect from terminal and from filezilla.

The problem comes when I install iredmail following this tutorial

Https://raiolanetworks.es/blog/how-to-mount-a-mail-server/

Then I have the prblema that iredmail works correctly, but the pureftpd-mysql stops working from the outside, if I do the test from the terminal the result is correct.

I suppose you have to see some conflict between the 2 programs but you will not find it.
The server firewall I have disconnected, so I could rule out that was the problem.

Here some data of the tests carried out

Cat / var / log / syslog | Grep pure

I have the following:

Root @ vps338639: / # cat / var / log / syslog | Grep pure
Jun 14 21:26:25 vps338639 pure-ftpd: (? @?) [ERROR] Unable to identify the local socket: Transport endpoint is not connected
Jun 14 21:27:25 vps338639 pure-ftpd: (? @?) [ERROR] Unable to identify the local socket: Transport endpoint is not connected

In filezilla this other, I think neither connects.

Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

Root @ vps338639: / # nmap -sT -O 51.254.215.97

Starting Nmap 7.01 (https://nmap.org) at 2017-06-14 21:27 CEST
Nmap scan report for vps338639.ovh.net (51.254.215.97)
Host is up (0.00045s latency).
Not shown: 989 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
21 / tcp open ftp
22 / tcp open ssh
25 / tcp open smtp
53 / tcp open domain
80 / tcp open http
110 / tcp open pop3
143 / tcp open imap
443 / tcp open https
587 / tcp open submission
993 / tcp open imaps
995 / tcp open pop3s
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 3.X
CPE OS: cpe: / o: linux: linux_kernel: 3
OS details: Linux 3.12 - 3.19, Linux 3.8 - 3.19
Network Distance: 0 hops

OS detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at https://nmap.org/submit/.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.81 seconds

Anyone have any idea that they may be failing?

thank you very much,
regards

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: problem pureftpd-mysql and iredmail

wirki wrote:

Then I have the prblema that iredmail works correctly, but the pureftpd-mysql stops working from the outside, if I do the test from the terminal the result is correct.

iRedMail has a default firewall rule in /etc/default/iptables. You can disable "iptables" service first to test the ftp service, if it works (without firewall), please tune the firewall rules to fit your needs.

Hello, thanks for answering.

In VPS I have the firewall turned off, and the ftp worked perfectly.
After installing iredmail, firewall is still disabled and ftp does not work. Then the firewall is activated and everything is working correctly.
To disable the iptables service as it should?

I am not very knowledgeable in linux, but I do not understand how it could be that having the firewall turned off does not work the ftp after installing iredmail, and has to activate it so that everything works correctly.

How did you stop firewall? Does restarting server but keep firewall running work for you?

5 (edited by wirki 2017-06-28 04:53:34)

To stop the firewall use UFW STOP.
To start UFW ENABLE.
If it is true that when I restart the server the firewall is again disabled. Then the FTP stops working until the firewall is active.

I did another test that was UFW RESET, which I think what it does is reset all the rules.
After this the firewall is disconnected everything works correctly.

Now I will solve other problems, since I can send mails but I can not receive them, in the part of the control panel of the server all the DNS are correct.
I imagine that I will have to look carefully at the DNS configuration of the server, which has to have something misconfigured.

Thanks.
I just gave you a cup of coffee

iRedMail adds /etc/init.d/iptables to manage firewall, i guess it's conflict with your ufw.

wirki wrote:

I just gave you a cup of coffee

Thanks. smile

It could be, I do not know how I can know the conflict exactly. Because if I have the firewall deactivated at first the iptables do not come into operation, right?

Just use either ufw or iptables (/etc/init.d/iptables) to manage firewall rules.