1 (edited by monomentalny 2017-10-31 05:52:49)

Topic: A few questions

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 9 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi :-)

1. Fail2ban
Why fail2ban rules (most of them) are in /etc/fail2ban/jail.conf and not /etc/fail2ban/jail.local? jail.conf may be overwritten during app updating.

2. Backup
Is there any mechanism to remove old backups from /var/vmail/backup or do I have to do it on my own? There's no point in storing those backups until the disk run out of free space.

3. OS
Which system would be safer and more efficient for iRedMail: Debian 9 or Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: A few questions

1) Should be looked into as a bug fix imo
2) Old backups are removed automatically after a configured amount of time.
3) Depends on what you prefer, Ubuntu runs LTS so it does have longer support than Debian 9 does, and as it is a quote-on-quote 'stable' version but I find Debian 9.2 to work as fine and stable as Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in my testing.

Wraptor wrote:

1) Should be looked into as a bug fix imo

Can you clarify?

Wraptor wrote:

2) Old backups are removed automatically after a configured amount of time.

What time and where to change it?

3. Debian is also LTS now: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS Which gives you more security?

1) As you already said, it could be overwriten so changing to jail.local would be better practice. (With bugfix I meant todo)
2) Depending on where the backup folder is (Default is: /var/vmail/backup) there should be a file backup_mysql.sh which has a configurable value 'KEEP_DAYS' which is 90 by default.

3) Debian 9 isn't LTS yet, currently Debian 7 is LTS, which they focus on for security, stability and compatibility untill the 31st of May, after that Debian 8 will become the LTS edition. And as Ubuntu 16.04 LTS derives from Debian 9 but is modified for compatibility and stability across updates I'd prefer Ubuntu 16.04 LTS looking at it objectively.
Subjectively I still prefer pure Debian as it never let me down and works the same way resource and security wise as CentOS or RHEL would imo, but this with a much newer kernel and updated code.

monomentalny wrote:

1. Fail2ban
Why fail2ban rules (most of them) are in /etc/fail2ban/jail.conf and not /etc/fail2ban/jail.local? jail.conf may be overwritten during app updating.

In iRedMail-0.9.7:

- it disables all filters in /etc/fail2ban/jail.conf.
- It generates /etc/fail2ban/jail.local and /etc/fail2ban/jail.d/*.local.

monomentalny wrote:

2. Backup
Is there any mechanism to remove old backups from /var/vmail/backup or do I have to do it on my own? There's no point in storing those backups until the disk run out of free space.

Backup copies are saved for 90 days, older backup files will be removed by the backup script automatically.

monomentalny wrote:

3. OS
Which system would be safer and more efficient for iRedMail: Debian 9 or Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

Both are fine.