1 (edited by jloc0 2017-11-15 08:14:43)

Topic: porting to slackware?

Hello,

I found this software and it made me super excited to find a nice solution for all of the email services I would like to be running on my server, alas, there is no support for slackware!

I currently run postfix and roundcube on my server, yet they kind of work and kind of don't. I'm not sure why things don't work correctly and I've never had the time to try any other solutions for using these softwares on my server. iRedMail provides all the things I wanted running on my machine.

How hard would it be to hack in support for slackware myself (not being a programmer personally)?

I'm familiar with many things in slackware but email support has always evaded me, I'd be personally interested in any tips that would help me possibly port this to the slackware distro and if possible to get any changes added back to the project if my endeavors would be successful.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: porting to slackware?

In my opinion, Doing this would be a waste of energy on your part. Your post does mention exactly why everyone comes here.

As you mentioned, Email Servers are hard. I had a postfix, dovecot, mailman, roundcube working for a few years on a Debian setup, that was a lot of maintenance keeping the clamav signatures updated, and I had no one to turn to, when it quit working.

So people come here to get a sound, one step solution that works out of the box, and in my case, I purchase paid support once in awhile on top for additional peace of mind that this standalone server continues functioning optimally.

Good luck with your server!!

Regards

The most important question: Do MANY sysadmins use Slackware as server (especially mail server) IN PRODUCTION?
If not many, then we're wasting time to port and maintain it.

Honestly, with current iRedMail code, it's very easy to support a new Linux/BSD distribution, the concern is how many users will use this distro in production. Porting may take few days, but we need to test every changes made to iRedMail for this distro, this is the main workload.

I'd like to remind you what we need to test:

- different architectures: i386, amd64/x86_64.
- different backends: MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, OpenLDAP.
- different distro releases. For example, CentOS 6 + 7, Debian 8 + 9, Ubuntu 14.04 + 16.04 (and possibly 17.04 + 17.10).
- Last few iRedMail releases support: CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, OpenBSD, FreeBSD.

Note: If you're interested in porting it AND maintaining it, it's always welcome. We need to make sure there's someone taking care of it - ACTIVELY. If you have no interest in maintain it after initially ported, we have no interest to merge your changes/porting.

jloc0 wrote:

Hello,

I found this software and it made me super excited to find a nice solution for all of the email services I would like to be running on my server, alas, there is no support for slackware!

I currently run postfix and roundcube on my server, yet they kind of work and kind of don't. I'm not sure why things don't work correctly and I've never had the time to try any other solutions for using these softwares on my server. iRedMail provides all the things I wanted running on my machine.

How hard would it be to hack in support for slackware myself (not being a programmer personally)?

I'm familiar with many things in slackware but email support has always evaded me, I'd be personally interested in any tips that would help me possibly port this to the slackware distro and if possible to get any changes added back to the project if my endeavors would be successful.

I don't think this would be technically too hard because Slackware is very near to BSD but it will be lots of work I'm sure.