Topic: to: address in aliased / forwarded emails.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version v0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend MySQL
- Web server Apache
- not pro admin.
====

Hi-ho,

I want to run a simple distribution list using the vmail/alias + vmail/forwardings tables.  I'm using iredapd to restrict senders on the list and it initially all looked fine, but I created a nasty email loop due to the to: address in the outbound email not being re-written.

My understanding was the enable_original_recipient = no setting in postfix (which is set to no) would cause postfix to re-write the addresses in the message as well as the envelope.

With one list member the DB entries look like:

mysql> select * from alias where address like '60m%';
+--------------+------+--------------+----------+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+--------+
| address      | name | accesspolicy | domain   | created             | modified            | expired             | active |
+--------------+------+--------------+----------+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+--------+
| 60m@x.org.nz |      |              | x.org.nz | 2018-02-10 06:31:53 | 2018-02-10 06:31:53 | 9999-12-31 00:00:00 |      1 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from forwardings where address like '60m%';
+-----+--------------+---------------+----------+-------------+---------+---------------+----------+--------+
| id  | address      | forwarding    | domain   | dest_domain | is_list | is_forwarding | is_alias | active |
+-----+--------------+---------------+----------+-------------+---------+---------------+----------+--------+
| 833 | 60m@x.org.nz | chris@y.co.nz | x.org.nz | y.co.nz     |       1 |             0 |        0 |      1 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I've also tried it with combos of is_forwarding and is_alias and when I send an email to 60m@x.org.nz arrives in my inbox as to:60m@x.org.nz instead of chris@y.co.nz.

I'm pretty sure I've missed something obvious along the way, but is there a way to do this within the mysql/postfix setup, or should I be looking for a solution external to iredmail?

Thanks, Chris H.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: to: address in aliased / forwarded emails.

You should use a true mailing list manager software, such as Mailman, mlmmj.
Upcoming iRedMail-0.9.8 integrates mlmmj. Document available here:
https://docs.iredmail.org/ (Search 'mlmmj')

Hi Zhang..

OK, thanks for that.

If I manually install mlmmj on 0.9.7 would there be any issues with the upgrade to 0.9.8 when it comes out of Beta?

(I don't like mailman, so not even going to think about that! :-) )

Cheers, Chris H.

We suggest waiting for the 0.9.8 final release. Because it's still beta release, some issues may be exposed and reported by users.