Topic: Webmail Extremely Slow

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? NO
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.- 503 Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
====

My SOGO webmail was working OK till a few days ago. Now it takes forever to load and often gives me the "503 service unavailable" error message.

iRedAdmin Panel works just fine though. What could be the problem?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by schnappi 2018-03-07 04:46:59)

Re: Webmail Extremely Slow

Try the easy items first. Restart Nginx and restart the server. Suspect that an auto-updated package caused the issue. Ubuntu uses the Debain testing branch and sometimes package updates have to be manually tweaked to get iRedMail back up and running. Main offenders have been php updates so would start by checking if had any php packages auto-update (if of course the service or server restart does not resolve). If not php check for other packages that recently upgraded. Also check log Nginx logs files as the 503 errors should show up and give more direction.

3 (edited by pnjo23 2018-03-07 05:00:53)

schnappi wrote:

Try the easy items first. Restart Nginx and restart the server. Suspect that an auto-updated package caused the issue. Ubuntu uses the Debain testing branch and sometimes package updates have to be manually tweaked to get iRedMail back up and running. Main offenders have been php updates so would start by checking if had any php packages auto-update (if of course the service or server restart does not resolve). If not php check for other packages that recently upgraded. Also check log Nginx logs files as the 503 errors should show up and give more direction.

Thanks for this but I am using Apache. I did try restarting the server. Works OK for a few minutes then back to this annoying slow routine. Thoughts on that?

There's a lot of this on the log:

[Tue Mar 06 09:57:31.139200 2018] [proxy:error] [pid 4062] AH00940: HTTP: disabled connection for (127.0.0.1)

Maybe your issue is due to the connection being throttling above the server. However if this were the case the logs on the server wouldn't show anything to reflect the throttle so this is probably not the issue.

Have you edited Apache config files in any way?

Also check package install logs here: /var/log/apt to see if anything has been installed or updated since the issue started occurring.

6 (edited by pnjo23 2018-03-07 05:52:22)

Nope have not edited Apache config files at all and no installs/updates on logs.

Has this issue always been occurring or did it start recently? Maybe the server is actually overloaded. Run "uptime" immediately after getting the error and see what the server resources look like.

Also try to connect on another connection (for example a cellular connection) and see if the 503 error occurs on multiple connections at the same time or just from one connection in particular.

Server isn't overloaded and yes this is recent. iredadmin works perfectly well even immediately I get the 503 error when trying to get to webmail.

Assuming you are using Roundcube one could try upgrading Roundcube to the newest version.

You could additionally create a temporary test Apache virtual host pointing to the Roundcube location to see if can replicate on a new fresh virtual host on a temporary unique port. If cannot replicate the issue obviously lies in the Apache config files somewhere.

I am using SOGo - Roundcube not installed at all.

Would still try to replicate using the same principal of looking at SOGO on a new temporary virtual host on a unique port. At least can pin down the issue to Apache as a whole/ SOGO config files or the Apache config files that pertain only to the default virtual host.

Maybe someone will additionally have a better suggestion.

Still no joy with this. Any ideas anyone?

Seems no enough Apache child process?

What's the error message in both Apache/SOGo/Dovecot log files?

From Sogo: Mar 07 08:25:43 sogod [3642]: [ERROR] <0x0x55a4515f7f60[WOWatchDog]> No child available to handle incoming request!

UPDATE: This seems to fix it https://forum.iredmail.org/topic10132-i … quest.html

Update 'PREFORK=' in /etc/default/sogo to use more wokers, default is 10