Topic: easy addition of cram-md5 to dovecot / postfix?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: centos 7.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql (mariadb 10.2.14)
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

have you come up with an easy way (if it's even possible) to add cram-md5 password support to dovecot (running v2.3.1)? everything i've read involves changing dovecot config and then having to reset user passwords.

it appears you have postfix using sasl to dovecot, correct?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: easy addition of cram-md5 to dovecot / postfix?

I think you can simply set one user's password to a CRAM-MD5 password hash directly, and list "cram-md5" in Dovecot config parameter "auth_mechanisms".
FYI: https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms

Re: easy addition of cram-md5 to dovecot / postfix?

Ok, so I guess let me rephrase my question; is there any way to have it support both what it's doing now (default) and cram-md5 at the same time? Or am I being silly and overlooking something? I had read over the page you linked.

If I save someone's cram-md5 password, but their mua sends the password assuming PLAIN, will it work? Is dovecot smart enough to make the distinction and process it anyway?

I'm sorry if my questions are silly. I haven't played around with this much and am trying to understand. Thanks.