Topic: All mail accounts also showing as aliases

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  0.9.8
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: RHEL6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? 2.9.0
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

After going through the upgrade from iredmail 0.9.5-1 and iredAdmin-Pro-SQL-2.4.0, I see that when I search for a regular mail account, that account is also showing up as an alias. Things that are only aliases show up correctly, as only aliases.

Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: All mail accounts also showing as aliases

Could you please capture some screenshots to help us understand the issue?

See the following image for what I get back when I search for myself:

http://www2.cnfusers.cornell.edu/pub/iredadmin-aliases.png

The details of the alias don't show anything under than the "enable this" checkbox checked. The "members" dialogue is blank, for example.

Seems a bug of iRedAdmin-Pro, i will try to reproduce this issue and come back with a fix.
Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds good.

Hi @dwbotsch,

I cannot reproduce this issue with iRedAdmin-Pro, could you please show us output of SQL commands below?

SELECT * FROM forwardings WHERE address='botsch@<domain>';

Please use full email address of 'botsch@' in sql query.

result below. Just the one.

Could it have anything to do with having alias domains set up (I have two set up for envelope) ?

id  |             address              |           forwarding            |          domain          |       dest_domain        | is_list | is_forwarding | is_alias | active | is_maillist 
-----+----------------------------------+---------------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+---------+---------------+----------+--------+-------------
  74 | botsch@<domain>  | botsch@<domain> | <domain> | <domain> |       0 |             1 |        0 |      1 |           0
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Hi @dwbotsch,

I cannot reproduce this issue with iRedAdmin-Pro, could you please show us output of SQL commands below?

SELECT * FROM forwardings WHERE address='botsch@<domain>';

Please use full email address of 'botsch@' in sql query.

Please show me output of SQL command below:

SELECT * FROM alias WHERE address='botsch@<domain>';

So there is an entry for every alias that is showing up. Here's the one for me:

vmail=# select * from alias where address like 'botsch@%';
             address             |              goto               | name | moderators | accesspolicy |          domain          |       created       |      modified       |       e
xpired       | active | islist | is_alias | alias_to 
---------------------------------+---------------------------------+------+------------+--------------+--------------------------+---------------------+---------------------+--------
-------------+--------+--------+----------+----------
 botsch@envelope.cnf.cornell.edu | botsch@envelope.cnf.cornell.edu |      |            |              | envelope.cnf.cornell.edu | 2012-06-27 17:33:22 | 2017-09-27 12:33:33 | 9999-12
-31 00:00:00 |      1 |      0 |        0 | 
(1 row)

So how did they get there I wonder?

In iRedMail-0.9.6 and earlier releases, one mail user account will have one record in sql table "vmail.mailbox", also one in "vmail.alias". Since iRedMail-0.9.7, we changed the sql structure and move the record in "vmail.alias" to new table "vmail.forwardings".

This change was covered in iRedMail-0.9.7 upgrade tutorial:
https://docs.iredmail.org/upgrade.iredm … l-accounts

Seems you didn't follow our upgrade tutorial strictly, and missed some steps.

How to fix it it manually

Please double check 3 sql tables: mailbox, forwardings, alias.

- If user exists in "mailbox" AND "forwardings", it's SAFE to remove the record with same email address ("alias.address=<user-email>") from "alias" table.

- if user exists in "mailbox" and "alias" but NOT "forwardings", please get the value of sql column "alias.goto" and insert into "forwardings" like below. WARNING: if "alias.goto" contains multiple addresses, you must split them and insert record like below for EACH of them.

INSERT INTO forwardings (address, forwarding, domain, dest_domain, is_forwarding)
                 VALUES ('<user-mail>', '<goto-address>','<domain-of-user-mail>', '<domain-of-goto-address>', 1);

After added required records in "forwardings", it's safe to remove the record from "alias" table.

- If user exists in "mailbox", but neither "alias" nor "forwardings", run SQL command below to fix it:

INSERT INTO forwardings (address, forwarding, domain, dest_domain, is_forwarding)
                 VALUES ('<user-mail>', '<user-mail>','<domain-of-user-mail>', '<domain-of-user-mail>', 1);

I was just doing a domain rename which required updating entries in tables. And during that I did notice that all three of those tables are populated. So it would appear that I indeed missed a step during the upgrade process.

Can you just clarify if:
1) all three tables are still used
2) and the purpose of each table

Thanks.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

In iRedMail-0.9.6 and earlier releases, one mail user account will have one record in sql table "vmail.mailbox", also one in "vmail.alias". Since iRedMail-0.9.7, we changed the sql structure and move the record in "vmail.alias" to new table "vmail.forwardings".

This change was covered in iRedMail-0.9.7 upgrade tutorial:
https://docs.iredmail.org/upgrade.iredm … l-accounts

Seems you didn't follow our upgrade tutorial strictly, and missed some steps.

How to fix it it manually

Please double check 3 sql tables: mailbox, forwardings, alias.

- If user exists in "mailbox" AND "forwardings", it's SAFE to remove the record with same email address ("alias.address=<user-email>") from "alias" table.

- if user exists in "mailbox" and "alias" but NOT "forwardings", please get the value of sql column "alias.goto" and insert into "forwardings" like below. WARNING: if "alias.goto" contains multiple addresses, you must split them and insert record like below for EACH of them.

VALUES ('<user-mail>', '<goto-address>','<domain-of-user-mail>', '<domain-of-goto-address>', 1);

After added required records in "forwardings", it's safe to remove the record from "alias" table.

- If user exists in "mailbox", but neither "alias" nor "forwardings", run SQL command below to fix it:

VALUES ('<user-mail>', '<user-mail>','<domain-of-user-mail>', '<domain-of-user-mail>', 1);

dwbotsch wrote:

1) all three tables are still used
2) and the purpose of each table

1) yes.
2)

- "mailbox": stores mail user accounts and detailed profiles.
- "alias": stores mail alias accounts and detailed profiles.
- "forwardings": stores source <-> destination mapping for mail user account, mail alias account, (mlmmj) mailing list account.