1 (edited by rocwhite 2018-04-30 07:17:42)

Topic: Problems with auto BCC for a relayed sender address

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No.
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I set up a relayed address that uses an external SMTP server as follows.

INSERT INTO sender_relayhost (account, relayhost) VALUES ('@host1.tld1', '[smtp.host1.tld1]:587');

With this I can use "'user1@host1.tld1" as FROM address from both RoundCube and Thunderbird. I then followed the instructions to set up auto BCC rules:

INSERT INTO sender_bcc_user (username, bcc_address, domain, active, created)
       VALUES ('user1@host1.tld1', 'myuser+Sent@mydomain', 'host1.tld1', 1, NOW());
       VALUES ('myuser@mydomain.mytld', 'myuser+Sent@mydomain.mytld', 'mydomain.mytld', 1, NOW());

However, only the second row triggers BCC for the hosted address "myuser@mydomain.mytld". The first row does nothing.

Following is something I tried while debugging the issue:

I added "host1.tld1" to the "domain" table, so that "user1@host1.tld1" can be found while looking up sender_bcc_maps:

INSERT INTO domain (domain, transport, active, created) VALUES ('host1.tld1', 'relay:[smtp.host1.tld1]:587', 1, NOW());

However, now when I tested from Thunderbird, I got an SMTP error: postfix/submission/smtpd[644]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[123.45.67.89]: 550 5.1.0 <user1@host1.tld1>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<user1@host1.tld1> to=<userX@hostX.tldX> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.1.100]>.

What's the correct way to set up auto BCC for a relayed address?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Problems with auto BCC for a relayed sender address

Postfix uses the SMTP AUTH username as the bcc user.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Postfix uses the SMTP AUTH username as the bcc user.

I logged in to the SMTP server as "myuser@mydomain.mytld" and sent FROM "user1@host1.tld1". If the AUTH username is used as the BCC user, wouldn't the second rule still trigger BCC?

rocwhite wrote:

However, now when I tested from Thunderbird, I got an SMTP error: postfix/submission/smtpd[644]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[123.45.67.89]: 550 5.1.0 <user1@host1.tld1>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<user1@host1.tld1> to=<userX@hostX.tldX> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.1.100]>.

If you add domain "host1.tld1" locally, then all "<user>@host1.tld1" must exist locally.

I'm now confused what the error is.

5 (edited by rocwhite 2018-04-30 07:16:47)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
rocwhite wrote:

If you add domain "host1.tld1" locally, then all "<user>@host1.tld1" must exist locally.

I'm now confused what the error is.

You can ignore the last part as indicated in my edited question. According to your previous reply:

VALUES ('myuser@mydomain.mytld', 'myuser+Sent@mydomain.mytld', 'mydomain.mytld', 1, NOW());

would be sufficient to bcc all emails sent via SMTP when user is authenticated as 'myuser@mydomain.tld', but it's not working for me.

Please show us output of command below:

cd /etc/postfix/mysql/
for cf in $(ls *cf); do echo $cf; postmap -q myuser@mydomain.tld mysql:./$cf; done

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Please show us output of command below:

cd /etc/postfix/mysql/
for cf in $(ls *cf); do echo $cf; postmap -q myuser@mydomain.tld mysql:./$cf; done

Thanks Huangbin. Here is the output:

------
catchall_maps.cf
------
------
domain_alias_catchall_maps.cf
------
------
domain_alias_maps.cf
------
------
recipient_bcc_maps_domain.cf
------
------
recipient_bcc_maps_user.cf
------
------
relay_domains.cf
------
------
sender_bcc_maps_domain.cf
------
------
sender_bcc_maps_user.cf
myuser+Sent@mydomain.tld
------
------
sender_dependent_relayhost_maps.cf
------
------
sender_login_maps.cf
myuser@mydomain.tld
------
------
transport_maps_domain.cf
------
------
transport_maps_user.cf
------
------
virtual_alias_maps.cf
myuser@mydomain.tld
------
------
virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
------
------
virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
vmail1/mydomain.tld/path/to/myuser-2018.04.24.05.06.01//Maildir/
------

I think you misunderstood the feature.

- If smtp authentication username is local user "myuser@mydomain.tld", per user bcc works.
- if the "From:" address is external user "user1@host1.tld1", per user bcc for the smtp authentication user "myuser@mydomain.tld" will be used.

Postfix doesn't use the "From:" address to lookup per-user bcc setting.

9 (edited by rocwhite 2018-05-05 10:21:35)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I think you misunderstood the feature.

- If smtp authentication username is local user "myuser@mydomain.tld", per user bcc works.
- if the "From:" address is external user "user1@host1.tld1", per user bcc for the smtp authentication user "myuser@mydomain.tld" will be used.

Postfix doesn't use the "From:" address to lookup per-user bcc setting.

Yes, I now understood this. My problem is: if I set "FROM:" header to "user1@host1.tld1" (but authenticated to my postfix SMTP server as the local user "myuser@mydomain.tld"), emails will NOT be BCC-ed. If I set "FROM:" to "myuser@mydomain.tld" (and authenticated to SMTP as "myuser@mydomain.tld"), emails do get BCC-ed.

My original, long post was trying to explain a possible complication in my setup: I have set up postfix to use a relay SMTP server if the "FROM:" header was "user1@host1.tld1" (e.g., use smtp.gmail.com to if I send FROM user@gmail.com). In other words, my Thunderbird client still authenticate to my postfix server as "myuser@mydomain.tld", but postfix will relay it to a different SMTP server. In this case, the BCC rule will not be applied.

You can turn on debug mode in Postfix to log detailed message for troubleshooting, figure out which email address it uses to query per-user bcc.