Topic: Helo it's a check widely used ? Because give a lot of problem

I would like to understand if the check on the sender helo it's used also from other mail server sw or not or maybe it's used as a score part of the antispam.

Thats because I frequently have problem with this filter because many mail server in the world have an helo bad configured. The main problem when I tell it to my customers it's that it seem they all other people receive their mail even gmail and outlook.

So probably this check are not so used if other mail server accept bad helo email.

I'm really in doubt if to keep or to deactivate this check, or if possible to keep it but without existence check

Thank you for your share your experience in this topic

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by sayso 2018-05-10 20:18:52)

Re: Helo it's a check widely used ? Because give a lot of problem

I experience the same thing. Users say "everyone else gets our email". Poorly configured host names seem to be most common on Exchange server where the administrator has never really understood mail server configuration and the rules that exist. Rather than try to talk to the remote admin and get the SMTP Connector name fixed, I add a rule to /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre

Example
/^(web01.ugu.com)$/ OK

Note the rules are parsed from top to bottom so if you have a HELO failure for EXCHANGESERVER.local then you have to add the OK rule before the existing .local rule.

I would love it if I could have a friendly conversation and get it fixed at the source but people don't care and seem to get offended when you say they are doing it wrong. After all, isn't microsoft the center of the universe? Note sarcasm.