Topic: Domain Alias to forward email from domain A to domain B

Can we setup a domain alias in iredmail or iredadmin like

domainA.com -> domainB.com

If email to user1@domainA.com, it will forward to user2@domainB.com.
If email to user2@domainB.com, if the user2@domainB.com is not found, it will bounce.

Please advice.  Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Domain Alias to forward email from domain A to domain B

With iRedAdmin-Pro, domain alias "domainA.com -> domainB.com" will add user alias to all users under domainB.com, so:
user2@domainB.com will have a user alias: user2@domainA.com, NOT 'user1@domainA.com' by default.

You have to add "user1@domainA.com" in user alias page manually. like below:
http://screenshots.iredmail.googlecode.com/hg/iredadmin/user_profile_aliases.png

Is that mean need to create one by one and cannot act like a backup domain and forward all email from domainA.com to domainB.com?

No.

Just add an alias domain name, and that's it.
As i mentioned above, domain alias "domainA.com -> domainB.com" will add user alias to all users under domainB.com automatically, so:
user2@domainB.com will have a user alias: user2@domainA.com.

All users under domain domainB.com will have another email address, with same username and '@domainA.com'.
user01@B.com => user01@A.com
user02@B.com => user02@A.com

But you says you want different username with alias domain (a typo error), user02@B.com => user01@A.com.
user02@B.com will have another address "user02@A.com", so you have to add "user01@A.com" manually.

How can I make it then? 

As we need to migrate a domain A.com to B.com.  A.com is currently hosting in other location.  B.com is new domain and we want to create all A.com's account.  If A.com can handle all accounts and forward to B.com, then we don't need to create alias one by one.

Please advice.  Thanks.

That's easy.

Steps with iRedAdmin-Pro:

- Create domain B.com.
- Create all accounts with same username as A.com. For example, if you have "user01@A.com", then create "user01@B.com" with iRedAdmin-Pro.
- In domain list page, click the gear icon at the right side of domain name "B.com" to edit profile.
- Switch to "Aliases" tab in domain profile page. Here's  screenshot.
- Add "A.com" and click "Save changes".

That's all.

==== Provide basic information to help troubleshoot ====
- iRedMail version:
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

Hi,
How do we add domain alias if we're not using iRedAdmin-Pro?

Thanks,
maze

maze wrote:

For MySQL backend, add it in vmail.alias_domain.
For OpenLDAP backend, add domain name in attribute "domainAliasName" of domain object.

9 (edited by kevothi 2015-05-12 11:21:14)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
maze wrote:

For MySQL backend, add it in vmail.alias_domain.
For OpenLDAP backend, add domain name in attribute "domainAliasName" of domain object.

Hello ZhangHuangbin,
We using IredAdmin (not Pro) and hosting 2 domain mail abc.com & def.com. How to we use fowarding domain mail from abc.com to def.com? If I add def.com for abc.com's domainAliasName then users of def.com can not send / receive mail. Can we use fowarding domain mail for 2 domain on same one server? We using OpenLDAP backend.
Please help me.
Thanks and Best Regard

Dear kevothi,

First of all, please always create a new forum topic for your own question, do not hijack other's thread.

Alias domain requires more work than adding 'domainAliasName' in domain object, you must add 'shadowAddress=[username]@[alias_domain' for all mail users/lists/aliases too.

Thanks for your support, ZhangHuangbin. I thought we discussing in same issue with a little bit different. Anyway, i just see one topic of you about domain alias, i will ask in that topic. Please remove my question in there. Many thanks.