Topic: Email is being rejected

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8 MYSQL edition
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi, I need help with the spam settings in my server.

I've been receiving several complaints from users that they are not receiving emails. They don't have them in their inbox nor in the spam folder. Actually the spam folder from my users is always empty.

I checked with the server sending the emails to mine and they said they got this message:

550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; client [167.89.104.237] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org

I checked /var/log/mail.log  and there it was:

postfix/dnsblog[11649]: addr 167.89.104.237 listed by domain zen.spamhaus.org as 127.0.0.4
postfix/postscreen[11647]: DNSBL rank 3 for [167.89.104.237]:46673
postfix/postscreen[11647]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [167.89.104.237]:46673: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; client [167.89.104.237] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org; from=....

How can I stop the server from rejecting this emails? Or at least have them delivered to the spam folder?

Under my iRedAdmin-Pro panel under Global Spam Policy I have just disabled the checkbox "enable spam checking" and
changed "Classify mail as spam when score is >=" from 6 to 10

And the domain inherits the global spam settings

I also have whitelisted the IP, however that particular client uses different IP's and I don't have access to the full list, so I cannot whitelist all the IP's.
I have also whitelisted the domain and subdomains.

I am currently waiting to see if all those changes did something. However I don't want to have the "enable spam checking" setting disabled.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Email is being rejected

1: on your iRedMail server, whitelist this ip address in file /etc/postfix/postscreen_access.cidr.
2: ask the sysadmin of this sender server to remove this ip from https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ Otherwise it will be rejected by all mail servers which use spamhaus as DNSBL service.

Note: #1 is just temporary solution, if sysadmin of sender server finished #2, you can remove the whitelist on your server.

Hi, I the problem is that I don't know all the ips that the other party uses for mail delivery.

What I did in /etc/postfix/main.cf was setting the following to ignore:

postscreen_greet_action = ignore
postscreen_blacklist_action = ignore
postscreen_dnsbl_action = ignore

and commented this
#postscreen_dnsbl_sites =
#    zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.[2..11]*3
#    b.barracudacentral.org=127.0.0.2*2

I'm waiting to see if the problem was solved or not.

jsmontoya wrote:

postfix/postscreen[11647]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [167.89.104.237]:46673: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; client [167.89.104.237] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org; from=....

You can get the client IP address in this log line.

jsmontoya wrote:

What I did in /etc/postfix/main.cf was setting the following to ignore:
postscreen_greet_action = ignore
postscreen_blacklist_action = ignore
postscreen_dnsbl_action = ignore
and commented this
#postscreen_dnsbl_sites =
#    zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.[2..11]*3
#    b.barracudacentral.org=127.0.0.2*2

This is not right, it disables DNSBL services. i suggest reverting the changes.

This is not right, it disables DNSBL services. i suggest reverting the changes.

I would however the emails are now being delivered to the server as far as I could see.
I am trying to get an IP list from where the other party sends emails. However they are a big company (mercadolibre) and takes forever to respond.

However as some emails were being delivered and others were not I also was trying to see if the SMTP Connection Time or SMTP Transaction Time was the culprit.

By whitelisting the ip in /etc/postfix/postscreen_access.cidr would the time improve? Or which setting should I change in order to have a faster connection time?

jsmontoya wrote:

I am trying to get an IP list from where the other party sends emails. However they are a big company (mercadolibre) and takes forever to respond.

Just check its DNS records, A, MX, SPF.