Topic: Mails marked as read automatically

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi,

a client of mine is havin a very strange problem, where all emails of some users are marked as read directly when they recieve them. Out of 100 users this applies to ~5.
We tried to sort out whats creating this error, but I cannot find it. We looked if it was the fault of Outlook for Windows or Android, but it seems thats not causing the error. If Outlook is closed on Windows and uninstalled on Android, all the new mails are still marked as read, if you login to SOGo after some hours.

Right now I don't know what to do.

I dont know if it's related, but the Apache error log is full of this:

[Tue Oct 09 09:55:46.459438 2018] [proxy_http:error] [pid 33924] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: [client 192.168.X.X:63310] AH01102: error reading status line from remote server 127.0.0.1:20000
[Tue Oct 09 09:55:46.459477 2018] [proxy:error] [pid 33924] [client 192.168.X.X:63310] AH00898: Error reading from remote server returned by /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Mails marked as read automatically

lug wrote:

I dont know if it's related, but the Apache error log is full of this:

Maybe related, but i'm not sure. You should try to increase the timeout in Apache config file for SOGo.

Also, is there any (global or personal) mail filter rule (sieve) on server which marks the email as read automatically?

3 (edited by lug 2018-10-09 17:09:37)

Ok, i've double the value now in /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/SOGo.conf

ProxyPass /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync \
 [url]http://127.0.0.1:20000/SOGo/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync[/url] \
 retry=60 connectiontimeout=10 timeout=720
# retry=60 connectiontimeout=5 timeout=360

I've never set such an option, I didn't even know it existed.

root@mail:/etc/dovecot# grep -r 'Seen' *
conf.d/20-pop3.conf:# makes RSET command clear all \Seen flags from messages.
dovecot.conf:#    # INDEX=: Per-user \Seen flag

So, I guess no.

Edit
Doubling the default timeout doesn't work..

With default iRedMail settings, there's no setting to mark new email as read automatically.

I have no idea why it happened, but this is a suggestion: pick up one account which has the issue, then:

- Close ALL mail client applications. like desktop MUA, mobile phones (for example, turn off the WIFI connection).
- Login to webmail like Roundcube / SOGo and keep the web browser open.
- Try to send few testing emails from another account, and check the mail read/unread status in webmail after email arrived.
- Wait for few minutes and check whether it's marked as read automatically in webmail. If it's ok, then webmail is not the cause.
- Launch one more (just one) MUA on desktop or mobile phone, repeat above steps and check webmail.

5 (edited by lug 2018-10-12 16:56:29)

I'll try that, thanks smile

My suspicion is SOGo, but we'll see..