1 (edited by morethanlazy 2019-01-25 07:25:40)

Topic: increased hard disk usage day by day

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? : downloaded
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): Postgres
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
hello, i set up iredmail for my private use, besides me there is nobody on it. i have an issue. my hdd usage on the server increasing day by day even not sending mail from start to till today approx. 5 percent it is increased. total space 20 gb. i am totally new and google search didnt work and couldnt find a complete solution. where should i start to look firstly ? any help will be appreciated

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: increased hard disk usage day by day

- Check file /var/log/dovecot/lda.log, did some mailbox(es) receive many (spam) emails everyday?
- iRedMail has daily backup scripts under /var/vmail/backup/, it backs up SQL databases everyday. so it is normal if the size of this directory increases everyday, the increased size is up to the size of SQL databases.
- If not many inbound emails, and daily backup files are not large, you need to check other possibilities.

Dear Zang, thank you very much for your reply. Mail server only used by me. I even have not started to use the mail box. No traffic on it. It is most probably the back up think as you said. I re-set up my server and this time chose postgres sql.i am just a regular windows user and understood that it is really hard to handle a mail server. Each day back up not necessary for me. Each week ok and trying to find delete old back ups. Is there anyway to make weekly back up and after back up taken system will automatically delete previous week back up. Thank you

iRedMail has daily backup script to backup SQL databases (warning: it does NOT backup mailboxes), and it only keeps the backup copies for 90 days, older copies will be removed when the backup script runs.

5 (edited by morethanlazy 2019-01-29 20:21:47)

Ok thank you very much dear zang, I think I can edit that script and change the duration keeping the back up

6 (edited by morethanlazy 2019-01-31 04:14:08)

I couldnt handle the problem, i searched postgresql forums but because of lack of my knowledge cant solve it. As i mentioned above post I did set a mail server up for private use. I am the only person going to use it, just one mail address. Hdd usage increasing day by day because of back ups i think. And i preferred postgresql because lots of people recommend it on forums. My question is
1- for personal use do i need hourly back ups and how can i change this  intervals? And what is the most suitable interval for me

I am very new and apprecita your help

morethanlazy wrote:

1- for personal use do i need hourly back ups and how can i change this  intervals? And what is the most suitable interval for me

Default backup scripts are ran daily, not hourly. and 90-days old backup copies will be removed automatically.

About "increased day by day", how much large does it grow everyday? is it a big concern to you?

Yes you are right, it is not a big concern right now. I was not familiar these kind of things but as i understand it is smooth for now. Thank you.