Topic: Migrating to a new server?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version 0.9.9:
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? yes
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 9
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Nginix
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Not yet
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I saw an old thread on moving to a new server. It mentions about copying the mail boxes over.

Using scp I copied over /var/vail/vamil1 over to /mail/vmail/vamil1 on the new server.

I could see the disc on the new server filling up, but I am not seeing the emails.

In fact in one of the directories I noticed there is a folder with user names following a set of numbers.
On both the old, and new server, they are different numbers following the name. but the scp copy did not bring over that original folder into the new one.

On top of that, I was having other issues with the new server, so I rebuilt it anew .

I not not seeing any much more guidance on this except a mention of using rsync. Should I use this rather than SCP?.

Another thing, should I recreate the users on the new server first. or copy the mail over then recreate the users?

Thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Migrating to a new server?

Besides copying /var/vmail/vmail1, you still need to make sure the maildir path stored in SQL/LDAP matches the path on file system, otherwise you won't see old emails after login.

FYI: https://docs.iredmail.org/migrate.to.ne … dir-format

Okay, I was able to get this It was my issue as I was doing the moving of the file incorrectly,.
You also pointed out the database issue I needed to change..

What I do not understand it why you feel you needed to make a time stamp style of directory on the users instead of a straight directory name to make migrations to a new server much easier.

Will send a few Coffees via Papal once I transfered funds to there. Thanks

KNERD wrote:

What I do not understand it why you feel you needed to make a time stamp style of directory on the users instead of a straight directory name to make migrations to a new server much easier.

FYI: https://docs.iredmail.org/why.append.ti … .path.html

Okay then what about a pop-up on the account deletion where you can ask "Also delete emails Yes / No"? Keep it Simple :-)

Thanks!

KNERD wrote:

Okay then what about a pop-up on the account deletion where you can ask "Also delete emails Yes / No"? Keep it Simple :-)

I just updated the tutorial to remove the mailbox deletion relevant info.

- When you delete a mail user with iRedAdmin(-Pro), it offers you an option to keep the mailbox for a certain period, and it logs the date (in SQL db) you scheduled to remove its mailbox.
- iRedAdmin(-Pro) has a daily cron job to remove scheduled mailbox. So the "Also delete emails Yes / No" is not required in this case.

Oh , thank you. Is it easy to upgrade to the Pro from the basic one?

KNERD wrote:

Oh , thank you. Is it easy to upgrade to the Pro from the basic one?

Very easy, check this short tutorial:
https://docs.iredmail.org/migrate.or.up … admin.html