Topic: Upgrade from 0.9.4. tot 0.9.9

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.4
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Easy
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello Guys,

I am wondering that is possible to do a whole upgrade from version 0.9.4. to 0.9.9. I was thinking to deploy a new VM machine with the latest iredmail package and copy the whole /var/vmail/vmail1 folder to the new server and export en import MySQL.

The current server has to many changes which i lost track. Therefor i don't want to update via the update documentation but instead install a complete new server en copy the required data.

Does anyone have experience to do so? is there anything i need to know before doing this?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Upgrade from 0.9.4. tot 0.9.9

You can do it with steps below:

- Export the "vmail" database on current server.
- Create a new database named, e.g. 'vmail_old', import "vmail" database to "vmail_old".
- Apply all SQL changes from 0.9.4 (to 0.9.5, to 0.9.6, to ...) to 0.9.9 and ignore all other changes to config files.
- Export this "vmail_old" database.
- Setup new server with the latest iRedMail-0.9.9.
- Import the "vmail_old" database to "vmail" db on new server.
- Copy /var/vmail/vmail1 from old server to new server (same directory, /var/vmail/vmail1). make sure it's owned by user/group "vmail:vmail" with permission 0700.

That's it.

WARNING: i suggest you try it with a testing machine first. i suppose no need to remind you to do necessary backup. smile

Since you don't want to upgrade iRedMail server manually, you should check our iRedMail Easy platform which offers one-click and fearless upgrade:
https://www.iredmail.org/easy.html

Goodmorning ZhangHuangBin,

Thank you for your advice.   And Nooo.. i am aware of making backups. That one of the basic things. In this case i will run a second server (the new one) to test if everything works well after copying the data. This most be done in de late hours because there are about 90 domains that are using this mailserver.

I will try do the update manually. It doenst sound that hard. Also I preserved myself a bit for the "one-click installs" because with other program's it often did go wrong. Also i do not know what this "one-click-install" does.

I will let you know that if everything was successfull.

Hello ZhangHuangBin,

Well it took some time but its finished.

Ik exported my old DB structure and the new DB structure in combination with the tutorials. The big change was that the alias has been moved to forwarding.

Also you forgot to notice that Sogo DB needed to exported. In my case i lost my agenda. Not that its that big important but nice to keep.

Thanks for the help and i did buy you a cup of coffee!

tedsje wrote:

Also you forgot to notice that Sogo DB needed to exported. In my case i lost my agenda. Not that its that big important but nice to keep.

Your iRedMail server should have a daily backup for sogo database (dumped with "mysqldump" command), also a backup generated with 'sogo-tool'. You can use either backup to restore your SOGo data.