Topic: Can't access e-mail immediately after installation.

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu Server 18.04.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I've installed iReadMail 0.9.9 on a fresh installation of Ubuntu.   The installation proceeded without error and after a reboot I'm able to login to iRedAdmin.   When logging into RoundCube the following error appears:

An error occurred!
Server Error: STATUS: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2019-03-25 14:42:41] (0.001 + 0.000 secs).

I've checked the Nginx error logs and found nothing.   At the time of this error there are access log entries, but all have a status of 200.

I've also installed SOGo.   Logging into this produces the error "An error occurred while communicating with the mail server".  I'm not sure what logs to check to troubleshoot this.

The services are running and I'm able to connect to them.   A portscan of the server shows the following:
Not shown: 990 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
22/tcp  open  ssh
25/tcp  open  smtp
80/tcp  open  http
110/tcp open  pop3
143/tcp open  imap
389/tcp open  ldap
443/tcp open  https
587/tcp open  submission
993/tcp open  imaps
995/tcp open  pop3s
MAC Address: 00:50:56:BB:ED:88 (VMware)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 3.X|4.X
OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:3 cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:4
OS details: Linux 3.2 - 4.6
Network Distance: 1 hop

Are there logs other than Nginx which would log errors encountered in RoundCube or SOGo?

I've tried a second install and am encountering the same problem with it.

Thanks,
Bob

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Can't access e-mail immediately after installation.

This problem appears to be Ubuntu related.   Three installs exhibited the same problem.   I tried a fourth install using Centos 7 instead of Ubuntu and that install worked perfectly.

Did you check Dovecot service? Is it running? Any error in its log files (/var/log/dovecot/)?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Did you check Dovecot service? Is it running? Any error in its log files (/var/log/dovecot/)?

I didn't see any errors in the log.   I didn't check the process list for Dovecot, but IMAP and SMTP showed in my portscan.   I also telnetted to ports 110 and 143 and received the service banner.   I assume that means Dovecot was running.

Unfortunately I no longer have this virtual machine.   After I had it running with Centos and posted my message I deleted the VM. 

I'm perfectly fine running this on Centos and won't need to go back to Ubuntu Server.  If it would be useful for you to have more information about this problem I have no problem reinstalling Ubuntu and trying again.   This problem was very easy to reproduce, it occurred with all of the three installs I tried.   Each was done after a clean OS install.

Bob

I'd like to give it a try, could you please help rebuild a VM?
Another question: did you choose to store mailboxes under other directory instead of the default one (/var/vmail)?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I'd like to give it a try, could you please help rebuild a VM?
Another question: did you choose to store mailboxes under other directory instead of the default one (/var/vmail)?

Certainly!   I'll set up a new VM today and will report back.

Yes, I did change the default directory for mail.   I used /usr/local/vmail.   I did this under Centos without a problem.   Do you feel this could be the problem with Ubuntu?

For my new install I'll refrain from changing this default.

Bob

Zhang,

You guessed it!   I just installed a new copy of Ubuntu Server 18.04 and installed iRedMail.   This time I left the default path for mail.   The installation worked perfectly!

When I completed my successful installation under Centos I noticed the ClamAV dat download.   I never saw this during any of my three installations under Ubuntu.

I just watched more carefully during the installation.   It appears the installer fails when it attempts to start the ClamAV update.   Note the attached screenshot.   Sorry, I couldn't copy/paste this text.   I did this install through vCenter using the web client.

bdushok wrote:

I just watched more carefully during the installation.   It appears the installer fails when it attempts to start the ClamAV update.   Note the attached screenshot.   Sorry, I couldn't copy/paste this text.   I did this install through vCenter using the web client.

No screenshot attached?
You're free to post to public service like http://imgur.com and paste a link here.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
bdushok wrote:

No screenshot attached?
You're free to post to public service like http://imgur.com and paste a link here.

That's odd.   I can't seem to add an attachment to a message.

You can access the image at https://academic.luzerne.edu/bdushok/screenshot.png.

Thanks,
Bob

bdushok wrote:

Try to run "freshclam --debug" manually and pay attention to the console output.
If it works correctly, you should get the latest clamav virus signature database, then please restart both clamav and amavisd services. and it should work after this.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
bdushok wrote:

Try to run "freshclam --debug" manually and pay attention to the console output.
If it works correctly, you should get the latest clamav virus signature database, then please restart both clamav and amavisd services. and it should work after this.

Zhang,

Will this also fix the inability to login to the e-mail server?   

To be honest, since I've moved to Centos this isn't really important to me.   I'll proceed with this troubleshooting if it will assist you, but I don't really need to get this working under Ubuntu any longer.

Thanks,
Bob

bdushok wrote:

Will this also fix the inability to login to the e-mail server?   

This is not relevant at all. Login to webmail requires https + IMAP services, if Nginx and Dovecot (also the SQL/LDAP database used to store mail accounts) are running well, login should be fine.

ClamAV/freshclam is triggered for after-queue virus scanning.