1 (edited by Neutro 2019-06-15 18:17:57)

Topic: Update on documentation of setting up iredmail on android

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.99
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? dl
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: debian 9.9
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDB
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hey ZhangHuangbin,

Just wanted to let you know: in the https://docs.iredmail.org/activesync.android.html documentation you advise people to use exchange protocol with mail app on android devices.

The mail app has been replaced by gmail app and since recent updates the exchange protocol is not working properly on it. The problem is coming from the gmail app, not sogo not iredmail (i've made some tests).

To my knowledge and after entensive tests there are no free exchange activesync app working properly to sync everything on android devices with sogo right now.

So the best solution right now for people using android to work with iredmail is using imap for mail and dav for calendar/contacts.

1°) install app "F-droid" from https://f-droid.org/
2°) use F-droid to download app "davx5" (free open source dav manager)
3°) setup davx5 to connect to iredmail server (if well knowns addresses are setup only mail address and password are needed).
4°) install bluemail from google play store and setup it to use IMAP. The app should detect all parameters automatically with only mail address and password.
5°) go to google contacts app, go to "settings" and setup the iredmail account as default contact storage when adding new contacts.
6°) on google agenda create a new appointment and select iredmail account as agenda for storing it. This will make iredmail account default agenda on the phone when adding new ones.

This solution is 100% free and works to sync mails, calendar and contacts in both ways perfectly with iredmail if sogo is installed.

I've sent a message to gmail support about the exchange sync problem with their app but since a lot of ppl are complaining from some time and google devs never did something about it i doubt it'll change before a long time smile

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Update on documentation of setting up iredmail on android

Thanks for the remind.
I currently don't own an Android phone right now, can not update the tutorial myself. sad

btw, BlackBerry Hub suites work well with Exchange ActiveSync. But it may be not free for non-BlackBerry phones.

3 (edited by Neutro 2019-06-26 16:27:24)

I can give you screenshots of above guide from my android phone if you want smile

I've tested Blackberry Hub but i had some problem with it as well, i don't remember which one exactly, maybe just because it wasn't free on android indeed big_smile

Neutro wrote:

I can give you screenshots of above guide from my android phone if you want

Yes please share your screenshots. Thank you. smile
You can mail me: zhb _at_ iredmail _dot_ org

Or, even better, fork the document repo, add / update related files, then send me a pull request:
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail-docs/

Well i did some tests on android studio emulator (official android emulator from google) and it turns out i couldn't make exchange protocol work on my phone because the custom rom i am using is broken at that level lol big_smile

When using exchange protocol with gmail app on android studio emulator it syncs mail, contacts and calendar perfectly with just entering login and password, nothing more to add.

So the actual documentation is still good, sorry for my mistake smile